Greek Life: Fall 2014 Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

SJU Greek Life has been in the spotlight as of lately, but not exactly for the right reasons. As a Greek Life member myself, I tend to believe a common goal of Greek Life at universities across the country is to not be known as “paying for your friends,” and instead, make an impact in a positive way as a group of students united for life long sisterhood and brotherhood. Being there for each other and giving back to the community are the backbones of Greek Life organizations. This past semester, the sororities on Hawk Hill have all hosted philanthropic events that deserve to be recognized! Check them out below:

Alpha Gamma Delta

This fall, Alpha Gamma Delta hosted their 17th Annual Fashion Show. The chapter was able to raise $6,248.26 for the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation that supports Diabetes Research and Awareness. This is the most the SJU Chapter has ever raised! Students (and even some of the sisters’ family members) strutted their stuff down the runway in a variety of clothing styles, generously donated by the Lord and Taylor on City Avenue. The night was complete with a photo booth for attendees to enjoy in conjunction with the theme “instaGAM”, a play on words with the popular social media app Instagram! With over 30 raffle baskets auctioned off, the event was a huge success for the foundation and the AGD chapter.

Alpha Phi

Alpha Phi teamed up with the SJU Improv club to put on “Laugh Your Heart Out”. The two organizations were able to raise over $1,200 for their philanthropy, the Alpha Phi Foundation which supports women’s heart health and cardiac care. Raffle baskets were auctioned off as attendee enjoyed Jimmy John’s sandwiches. Kudos Alpha Phi on combining laughs, munchies, and philanthropy for a successful event!

Alpha Omicron Pi

AOPi had their annual “Strike Out” – kickball tournament to raise money for Camp JRA as well as The Arthritis foundation. The chapter was able to raise over $1,200. In addition, the chapter “Jingle in your Jammies” to raise money for the Jingle Bell Run which is a AOII supported 5K run for The Arthritis Foundation. This additional event raised $300 to bring their total up to $1,500 for the semester!

Phi Sigma Sigma

For their fall philanthropy, Phi Sigma Sigma took part in the “Calliope Joy Foundation’s Cupcake Challenge”. This foundation, started by a professor here at SJU, was started to raise money and awareness for children’s neurological diseases in support of her daughter, Cal. It was founded in 2013, so it is as new as the Phi Sigma Sigma chapter! On September 20th, the sister of Phi Sigma Sigma took part in what turned out to be the largest cupcake tasting in the world. With the help of Phi Sigma Sigma, the event proudly produced $24,000 towards a cause so close to home. Some of the proceeds go towards funds for home renovations, sending children overseas for life-saving care and supporting CHOP’s Pediatric Advanced Care Team. One of the sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma, Giuliana Carella, was recognized by MTVu Changemaker on December 6th for all the hard work the chapter contributed!

Sigma Sigma Sigma

Tri Sigma had their first annual “Run for Robbie 5k” at the Philadelphia Zoo this semester. With the help of family, friends, alumni, and chapters from other schools around the area, they were able to raise over $10,500 for their philanthropy, the Robbie Page Memorial Foundation. This foundation raises money to build play therapy facilities for children with terminal illnesses. They teamed up with the Philadelphia Zoo and were supported by KIND to have a fun and successful day with sisters and animals alike!

The sororities here on campus take huge pride in giving back to the communities. In this semester alone, over $43,000 was raised for different philanthropy organizations through the events our sororities put on. Make sure to attend the abundance of spring philanthropy events on campus next semester to help SJU sororities in their mission to give back!