Giving Back This Holiday Season: Where Do I Begin?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

It seems every day on hawk hill is getting a litle bit colder, and a little more full of red Starbucks cups. Winter is upon us, and with it comes two of everybody’s favorite holidays: Thanksgiving and Christmas. For many people, receiving gifts from their Christmas lists that they’ve been working on since June is a major highlight of the season. But giving back is also a big part of the holiday spirit. Sometimes, giving back feels just as good as receiving that MK bag. Here are a few local organizations you can lend your help to this season:

1. Thanksgiving Dinner Dance

The Thanksgiving Dinner Dance is an event run through Campus Ministry right here at SJU. We host seniors from local senior centers and students join them in both dinner and dance. This is an annual SJU event that usually gathers a huge turnout, and it’s a great way to enjoy yourself while also lending your time to these seniors. The application to volunteer for this semester can be found here.

2. Toys for Tots Philadelphia

Who doesn’t love Toys for Tots!? It’s a heartwarming organization whose goal is to provide children with toys on Christmas Day. This is a great service event to have for your fraternity, sorority, or club on campus. Click here to make a monetary donation or learn about donation sites in your area.

3. Martin Luther King Jr. Association for Nonviolence – Christmas Pageant for Disadvantaged Children

The Christmas Pageant is an event that intends to give disadvantaged children the complete Christmas experience. It includes a full course meal, toy distribution, and special guests (our favorite Christmas characters). You can apply to help out on a committee or simply on the day of the event here.

4. Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger

Spend an evening volunteering at a soup kitchen around Philly. You can find a list here.