From the Funny Friend: Reward yourself like a Human, not a Dog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

You are not a dog. Well, you might be, and if you are, I would advise you to stop reading this right now and call Ellen DeGeneres. Get on the show, and talk about how you are a literate and reading dog. But if you are not a dog, then stop treating yourself like one on this journey to a new, fit you. By that I mean stop rewarding your physical triumphs with junk and comfort food.

If you are anything like I was, food is not just something that tastes good, but also somewhat of a hobby. The whole process of picking what to eat, enjoying the savory taste, and lying on the couch to sleep it off was one of my favorite activities to pass time, and honestly, to make up for a lonely part inside of me. Therefore, it only seemed right when I actually did good for my body by working out or eating healthy for a day, and just one day, to reward myself with a cookie or two (okay, more like the whole bag…) right? WRONG. The only appropriate time to use food as a reward is for a dog. Think about why a dog even gets a treat: two reasons. 1. He didn’t pee in the house. 2. He came inside after calling his name for 10 minutes after you pulled out the treat bag. We’re not dogs. So, now it’s time to discuss what you are: You are a fox, a hot, sexy college girl who will walk to class and make even Saint Ignatius stop and stare (well, he serves as a statue on our campus these days and does that a lot, but you know what I mean…). Rewarding yourself with food will do nothing but set you back from your goal. Sure, it feels great at the time to indulge in a Chipotle burrito. But what was the point of burning those 500 calories at the gym to go home and eat a 1,000 calorie burrito? Yes it is about 1000 calories…even with “guacamole as the healthy fat”

One of the biggest ways I have changed my mindset and health has been from treating myself like a sexy fox instead of a dog. How? Reward yourself with other things you really like. When losing my first 10 pounds, I made two fitness goals for myself at 5 and 10. At 5 pounds I rewarded myself with a LuLu Lemon headband, a workout accessory I had always found overpriced but had always wanted. If anyone has seen Parks and Recreation, season 4, Donna and Tom have their favorite saying, “Treat yo self!” In this case ladies… treat yo self! So, instead of buying myself extra calories and working towards FroYo at the gym, I was working towards this headband, and making sure that when I reached this goal, I looked darn good wearing it. My second goal was 10 pounds, and when I reached that I rewarded myself with a new reusable water bottle. Using objects instead of food as a reward not only saves you calories, but also still gives you that satisfying feeling of something new and earned. Retail therapy anyone?

Lulu Lemon head bands

I am not asking you to change your life and health all at once. You can indulge with a comfort food anytime you choose. But just don’t use it as a reward for your hard work at the gym. Buy a new outfit and show off those arms you worked so hard for!

I promise, you will feel much better when reaching these goals. Besides, I would rather spend time shopping for my reward then sitting on the toilet after eating it. Am I right? TMI?

The Funny Friend