The Five Day Cleanse: To Discover a “Clean-Eating” You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Halloweekend may or may not have gotten the best of us. Whether you consumed your body weight in chocolate, sweet tarts or on that beverage “of-choice”, your body is now showing it.

In order for your body to recover from Halloweekend and weeks of an unhealthy diet, think about pursuing a clean eating food cleanse. This is not an unhealthy liquid cleanse, but instead a clean eating challenge to discard all processed food and drinks from your diet. A pure natural diet will allow your body to naturally improve. This is a tough process and requires a large amount of preparation in order to be successful. This is an all or nothing plan that can only be beneficial if you pursue the challenge, 100% of the five-day plan. This cleanse recommends about 1200 to 1400 calories a day. You will probably lose a little weight, but more importantly you’re losing a lot of toxins! 

As I completed this cleanse over two weeks ago, the challenges were at times overwhelming. As an avid coffee drinker, caffeine is cut from the diet. This was the most dramatic accommodation I had struggled to overcome. By day three, I had the worst headache.  However, by day five, I felt more energized than I had in weeks! Overall, I found this cleanse is a great confidence boost that not only cleanses your body but your mind and spirit as well.  

Over the course of the five day cleanse, I encountered the weekend “binge all, of binge all’s.” As a college student, you know the social deal is to drink alcohol and to fulfill that midnight craving at Larry’s. It’s a social hurdle you must overcome in order to make the most of the five-day cleanse. Not drinking in a crowd of very intoxicated people is not only eye-opening, but at times diffcult.  I suggest doing the cleanse Monday-Friday to dismiss this distraction. (Apologizes, Thirsty Thursday will be off the radar this week.) Honestly, it’s worth it.

People do not realize the impact one’s diet has on their overall health’s well being: Your body suffers from lower levels of energy, bloat and discomfort by the impact of poor food choices. Luckily this cleanse is the cure.

I have included a five day meal regime that you must follow in order to see results. I found that Trader Joes or Whole Foods were excellent resources for finding pure and inexpensive groceries to accommodate my cleanse. I enjoyed the food I ate and at times, even forgot I was on a cleanse. (Aside from late night break down in the middle of the cleanse, where all I wanted was a Venti-Salted Caramel Mocha latte and a pumpkin muffin from Starbucks.) With support from friends, and my internal will power, I did not cheat! I would suggest, however, doing this cleanse with a friend. 

Take One Day at a Time & Remember this is for YOU!

Monday:
Breakfast: Apple pie Oatmeal (Apple, oats, cinnamon, unsweetened apple sauce, almond milk, nuts, vanilla, lemon)
Lunch: Chickpea black bean salad: (Chickpeas, black beans, tomatoes, cucumber, lemon, olive oil with fruit or veggie side and an all natural smoothie)
Dinner: Veggie chili with a side salad or brown rice/quinoa

Tuesday:
Breakfast: Smoothie (kale or spinach, banana, blueberry, cinnamon, coconut water, almond milk, almond butter, strawberry or any other fruit)
Lunch: butternut squash with fresh garlic and parsley side quinoa or brown rice
Dinner: Shrimp taco, or fish taco (brown rice tortillas, avocado, red onion, tomatoes, lime juice) with a side salad. (no dressing, balsamic vinegar alternative.)

Wednesday:
Breakfast: Ezekiel bread with avocado or nut butter (can include tea or smoothie) decaffeinated
Lunch: the “big “ salad with a side toasted rice tortilla (lettuce and spinach, carrots, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, mushroom, nuts, etc.)
Dinner: Sweet potato chickpea patties with avocado salsa

Thursday:
Breakfast: pumpkin pie overnight oats (pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, raisins, almonds, almond milk)
Lunch: Tuna with siracha or non-fat Greek yogurt, and chickpea salad, side of edamame 
Dinner: spaghetti squash with homemade tomato sauce

Friday: LAST DAY!
Breakfast: Sweet potato with cinnamon
Lunch: Sandwich: Ezekiel bread w/ avocado, tomato, hummus, onion, presto spread with side fruit
Dinner: Black bean burgers with side zucchini noodle or salad

Snacks: Fruit with or without almond butter, veggies with or without hummus, small portions of brown rice or quinoa, small sweet potato, almonds. (All snacks in moderation between meals) Be sure to drink a lot of water, you will feel full faster!

Best of Luck!

HCXO

Lauren Brands