Fashion Notes from Admirer Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

It is no question that Rome is an artful inspiration. The eternal city showcases grandiose monuments such as, the Pantheon and the Coliseum, with the perfect juxtaposition of the most modern fashion from the houses of Versace, Gucci, and Prada being flaunted on the streets. Rome is home to luxury, modern technological advances, and innovative automobiles such as the smart car that was winding down its cobblestone streets years before its presence across the pond. These heightened contrasts are ironic, yet refreshing. It announces that the city’s importance, as an integral place for Western civilization and humanity is not a thing of the past and highlights its place within the modern global market.

As heels clink on the cobblestone streets, heads from all those inhabiting the corner café, turn. A Roman woman walks by, carrying herself in a style unparalleled. Her clothes are of course, impeccably selected and of the utmost quality, but they are simply accessories. Her presence is what has captured the attention of on-lookers, her clothing retains its second class status to her personality, even before she has wished you buona sera.

On the streets of Rome, and on my campus at the American University of Rome, I’ve spotted outfit combinations with creativity not commonly found on Hawk Hill. What makes the outfit, in my opinion (and what also makes me stare longingly at the girl or guy wearing it) is the exuding confidence of the one wearing it. When I spot leather overalls, or perfectly mixed patterns, I can see a part of the person who put it on that day. I see their creativeness, their boldness, and a part of their individuality in exposing themselves through their clothing choices.

Dressing oneself in Europe goes beyond favorite brands. Europeans, and those inspired by Europeans, adore high-end fashion as much as the rest of us, but understand that ultimately, the style lies within the person.

I spotted these chic globe-trotters on campus at the American University of Rome.

Who: Talia Teboul

University: University of Miami

Origin: Switzerland

Where are your top three places to shop?

“Zara, Massimo Dutti, and J.Crew. I am European, but I miss J.Crew!” 

Who: Toniann Beckman

University: Lasalle University

Origin: New Jersey

What has influenced your wardrobe while studying abroad in Europe?

“Fashion inspired me to come to Rome! I like adapting to the new European styles that I didn’t know existed until I came here.”

Who: Jade Cass

University: American University of Rome

Origin: South Africa

Where do you find the confidence to dress truly original?

“Living in Europe has made an impact on my style, a lot of people kind of do their own thing, which I love and has made me feel comfortable enough to do my own thing too. For me, fashion/style for myself is having the power and ability to show how I feel or what I think in a somewhat subtle way.

I don’t make drastic statements and don’t get me wrong, I love my Hermes scarf, LV bag and Chanel boots, but my favorite buys are always the cute dress from the market down the road, or the bright yellow backpack from the vintage store in Trilussa. As I’ve grown, I wouldn’t say I’ve become more stylish, but I’ve grown to realize that my style is a small way in which I can say something without speaking. And having the confidence to strut my stuff in things that may not be “in” or expensive or “cool” means that I know who I am, and I like it and I don’t mind letting other people seeing my quirks and imperfections.”

Who: Danielle Bahn

University: American University of Rome

Origin: Huntington Beach, California

How has your style changed since arriving in Rome?

“My style has changed a lot. Before I moved to Rome I lived in Chicago for 2 years. There is where I really learned how to dress myself, because I had to learn how to dress for the seasons. I couldn’t just wear jean shorts and flip-flops everyday. While in Rome I have taken a lesson from the Roman locals. They are always dressed to impress. I love that.” 

These ladies have inspired me, and some other fellow American study abroad, to venture out of our style comfort zone by following in their footsteps.

Roman student style in five simple steps:

1.     Combine black and brown

2.     Wear ankle boots, with absolutely everything

3.     Sweaters and sweatshirts over dresses and jumpers

4.     Accessorize

5.     Take ideas from others, but represent yourself

HCXO,

Taylor 

My name is Taylor Rizzolino, I am a student at Saint Joseph's University studying both English and Leadership, Ethics, and Organizational Sustainability. I am one of the founders of HerCampus SJU! I couldn't be more excited about this blog! I love Hawk Hill and all it has to offer students! I have spent the past two years volunteering on behalf of Saint Joe's, on the dance team at SJU and on The Hawk staff as a news writer. I love engaging audiences via social media and I hope to give all collegiates a well-rounded perspective of SJU through this blog ...with a lot of style and girl talk along the way! xo