This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

It’s apple season! If you’re simply eating apples plain, you’re doing it wrong. Apples can be incorporated into so many meals – salads, sandwiches, desserts, and more! Here are two recipes to get you started on your apple kick; a healthy salad and a hearty sandwich. 

Grilled Chicken Apple Sandwich

This sandwich is a healthy spin on the “Vermonster” – the notorious Vermont sandwich made up of turkey, apple smoked bacon, apples, vermont cheddar and maple honey mustard.

Ingredients:

Two slices of bread of your choice

1/2 apple, sliced thinly

1 chicken breast, grilled

4 slices of cheddar cheese

A handful of mushrooms and onions

1/2 an avocado

Spinach

Balsamic dressing if desired

The best thing about this sandwich is how easy it comes together, directions are as follows:

1. In a large skillet, season chicken breast with garlic, salt and pepper in olive oil and cook until golden brown.

2. In a separate skillet, sautee mushrooms and onions in olive oil over low heat until cooked and soft.

3. Meanwhile, toast the two slices of bread in the toaster oven – spreading the cheddar cheese across one slice. Toast until golden brown or until the cheese melts.

4. Prepare mix ins by slicing the apple, avocado, and spinach if desired.

5. Once everything is cooked and ready, it’s time to stack your sandwich! It may get messy, but it’ll taste delicious. Throw all of your ingredients on, and add balsamic if you need a sauce. Enjoy!!

Apple Bacon Avocado Salad

The combinations of flavors and textures in this salad are wonderful! This recipe serves two.

Ingredients:

1/2 apple – chopped 

1/2 cup quinoa

1/2 cup spinach

1 avocado

4 tbsp feta cheese

4 tbps dried cranberries

4 strips of bacon

Balsamic dressing

Directions:

1. Cook quinoa according to instructions (with one cup of water over medium heat until boiling, then covering on low heat until water is absorbed).

2. Cook 4 slices of bacon over medium heat until crispy. Let cool and chop into bits.

3. Prepare apple and avocado by slicing and chopping.

4. Add the spinach, cooked quinoa, apple bits, avocado and bacon into a large bowl. Sprinkle the feta cheese and dried cranberries over, adding balsamic dressing.

5. Serve in two dishes and enjoy!!