The Elephant in the Room: The Awkward Market of Lululemon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Working out in style has become one of the most popular trends amongst young women. The Worlds Sports and Fitness Clothing Market is projected to make over $126 billion dollars by 2015. One of the most popular “wears” while working out is Lululemon. They have produced and continued to average annual sales of over $1 Billion dollars and are the third highest sales per square foot behind, Apple and Tiffany. Susanne Price, A retail anaylst with ThinkEquity, states that the store rings up about $1,800 in sales per square foot, compared with only $600 for retailers such as J. Crew and Abercrombie & Fitch.  http://www.fastcompany.com/1208950/lululemon%E2%80%99s-cult-selling

The whole idea is that people are wanting and willing to create a healthier life style for themselves. Whether it be changing ones diet or even joining a gym, all of these require a fabulous outfit. But how has Lululemon projected such a high grossing income with such little advertzing but high prices? They have created their target market to become a cult like following. Chip Wilson, the CEO, states that Lululemon’s goal is sharing the “secret” with the world and is always striving to “elevate the world from mediocrity to greatness” http://www.fastcompany.com/1208950/lululemon%E2%80%99s-cult-selling. This all sounds wonderful, and we thank Chip for his spiriutal invisions. Although, there is one small part being left out: The product sizes fit small to begin with, and only range from size 2-12. If you are looking for a 10 or 12 they are stocked in a different almost hidden cubby section of every store. The company shows no signs of making a plus size line. Awkward.

I myself am obssessed with the Lululemon product, I could be considered one of there cult followers. Constantly stalking the website for new colors and products to come out. Working out in Lululemon clothing brings me the self-confidence everyone desires to have while sweating through a work out. Lululemon makes you feel as though you can take on that 5 mile run with no problem. But is does not seem fair that woman of all sizes are unable to experience the confidence Lululemon brings to its customer. And for those not in the best of shape and wanting to embark on a healthier lifestyle, could not wear something because of a size tag? This is the struggle many people have found with Lululemon. A former Lululemon employee shares her experience working in one of the stores. She said the larger sizes of 10-12 were rarely restocked and were shoved in the back of the stores.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/lululemon-plus-size_n_3675605.html  A blog put out by the Lululemon company in 2010 entitled “Love Your Body” states, “There is no size restriction on beauty and confidence”. Lululemon does not seem to take into consideration what there own modo really means. Secondly, they put up images of women who are in amazing shape instead of the average woman going to the gym. Would Lululemon make over $2 Billion dollars if they would expand their sizes up to a 16? The plus size industry is only growing so why would lululemon not jump on the band wagon?

A critic of Lululemon and the popular clothing store, Abercombie  & Fitch said, “Selling plus size clothing world be bad for business”  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/lululemon-plus-size_n_3675605.html. Lululmeon could be considered the adult version of Abercombie & Fitch. In middle school I remember dragging my mom to A&F every weekend to get me the latest shirt to wear to school the next day. I thought I was the coolest thing to hit 7th grade. Now I have fallen into the same stereotype when it comes to lululemon. I pay the $100 to feel as though I am the best looking person in the gym. However this does this make me vain? Have I fallen back into my 7th grade ways? I would like to think that I can see past the stereotype. But should I be wearing this product because my peers cannot? It is hard to come to this realization about my favorite company. This is the elephant in the room: we have become a society even when we are trying to be in shape, we are still judged. Can we ever move the elephant out of the room?

HCXO

Maya Wilson

Maya is a sophmore, Pharmasuctical Healthcare Marketing and Communications double major. Aside for writting for her campus, she is the Editor of the Pharmasuctical Marketing Newsletter,  and Director of the Philanthropy for the,Theta Theta chpater of Alpha Phi. If you see Maya around campus she is mostlikly sporting her Trenta iced americano from starbucks, in her ridiculous overised sun glasses and Wearing Fahsion greek or Francesca Joy (Companies she is a representive for). Maya looks forward to contributing to HerCampus and showing how SJU is full of some HBIC's.