Class of 2019: Orientation Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

I would like to congratulate you, Class of 2019, on making one of the best decisions of your life in joining the family here at SJU. In a few, very short, weeks you will be beginning your journey on Hawk Hill at your summer Orientation. You’ll have the chance to meet your future classmates, explore Philadelphia, dance your face off at the BLD, and get acquainted with your beautiful new home. As an Orientation Leader, I have learned the key to a successful orientation. Here are some tips to ensure you are fully prepared and ready for your summer orientation

1. First off, What to Pack

Day 1:

You’ll realize very quickly that orientation involves a LOT of walking, so strive for something comfortable and casual You’ll have all year to show off your new strappy sandals, so make sure to wear decent shoes to avoid blisters. Also, make sure to check the weather before you come and dress accordingly.

White, bright, and sweat-proof. I’d suggest athletic shorts and a white, or neon, t-shirt…and don’t forget your dancing shoes! Preferably something close-toed to protect your feet from getting stomped on. 

Day 2:

Field games! You’ll get a t-shirt to wear, according to what group you are in, so otherwise pack athletic shorts and sneakers.

Also, don’t forget bed sheets, towel (shower shoes), and toiletries!

2. Don’t Stresss about trying to find a roommate during orientation

It’s difficult to really know if you are suited to live with someone after ten minutes of talking, and it just makes orientation seem like one big awkward speed date. Instead, enjoy your time, be yourself, and get to know your group and future classmates!

3. Check out classes prior to coming (using the nest) because you will be registering at orientation.

4. Get to know your Red Shirts!

Your orientation leaders, a.k.a “Red Shirts”, are there to help you transition into college during orientation and beyond. Ask as many little questions as you want, because that’s what we’re here for!

5. Be Yourself!

As cheesy and cliché as it sounds, it’s true. Unlike high school, there are no “cliques” in college. SJU is filled with a diverse student body and everyone has something unique to offer. So relax, be yourself, and get ready for the best four years of your life!

Welcome to the family class of 2019, we can’t wait to meet you. 

HCXO