From the Chef: Red White and Blueberry Pie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Happy July!

I hope everyone is having a fabulous summer so far and enjoying the time off from school! I have to tell you that the 4thof July is one of my favorite Holiday’s, not only because I love America but because it is the perfect holiday for spending time with family and friends outdoors. Another reason why this holiday is my favorite is because it is in the summer, and that is when we tend to cook the freshest and healthiest foods! I know that my favorite thing to bring to family get-togethers is a dessert, so I set out to the store to find my ingredients! When I was in the store brainstorming ideas, I realized that all the berries right now are in abundance, making them more affordable than usual; perfect! I quickly gathered blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and some juicy white peaches and thought, “this will make the most delicious pie.” And oh my, was I correct!

Oftentimes, people are scared of pies because they worry the crust is too hard to make, and who knows how the filling will wind up tasting after being baked. But I promise- do not be scared! I have a fool-proof Martha Stewart pie crust recipe that is my go-to; it works every time and is always delicious. As for the filling, I have one very important tip that will ensure deliciousness: TASTE the fruit FIRST! During this time of year, fruit will be the sweetest, so you do not need to add very much sugar to your pie at all. If you taste your fruit and it is a little tart, you can add up to ½ cup extra sugar. This pie is very simple, and I hope this becomes your families 4th of July staple pie.

“Red, White, and Berry Pie” created by me for you!

1 Pie Crust Recipe: you can use the store bought, or follow this simple recipe from my girl Martha.

http://www.marthastewart.com/283515/basic-pie-dough

For the Pie Filling:

v  1 cup raspberries

v  1 cup blackberries

v  1 cup blueberries

v  1 ½ cups strawberries, cut in quarters

v  6 white peaches, peeled and cut

v  ¾ cup flour

v  ¼ sugar

v  2 tbs. cornstarch

v  1 ½ tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375. Place pie crust in a pie pan, crimp around the edges with two fingers to make a decorative edge. Poke the bottom of the crust with a fork to make sure it doesn’t create air-pockets during baking.

After washing and preparing fruit, mix together with the dry ingredients until well combined. If you notice your filling looks too runny, add ¼ cup more flour. It just all depends on how juicy your peaches are!

To make the Crumb Topping:

v  1 stick softened butter

v  ½ cup white sugar

v  ¾  cup light brown sugar

v  1 cup flour

v  1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together with a fork to create crumbs. Sprinkle on the top of the unbaked pie.

Lastly, bake for 40-50 minutes, if the crust is browning too quickly, cover the crust with foil.

I hope you enjoy this pie and have a great Fourth of July!                                  

From my kitchen to yours~

Lauren J

Hi Everyone! My name is Lauren Principato. I am a Junior, 5 Year Co-Op Food Marketing Major at Saint Joseph's University! This major is so special to me because my entire life has revolved around food. I am what you can call a total "Foodie" and to be truthful, I am food obsessed! I am always looking for and creating new recipes, as well as trying exciting, different foods and restaurants every chance I can get. This year, I have had the opportunity to intern with Wegmans Food Markets in the specialty cheese shop, so yes, you can call me a little bit of a cheese expert! Aside from food, I am extremely interested in shopping, having fun with friends, working out, anything to do with animals, and my wonderful, fabulous, sorority, Alpha Phi; in which I am the Sisterhood Chair! As you can see, I have a crazy busy life, but I would not change that for a second! I look forward to sharing all I know about food, nutrition restaurants and more! With all my love and recipes, Lauren