Campus Cutie: Andy Powers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Hailing from Columbia, Maryland, sophomore Andy Powers spends most of his time singing and enjoying the company of friends.. As a member of 54th and City as well as Hawkapella, Andy says there’s nothing better than doing the thing you love with people who love it just as much as you do. I sat down with this week’s campus cutie on a bench beneath a few trees on the Campion lawn and was quickly impressed by his quirky charm and contagious kindness.

HC: As a single man on campus, what’s the deal maker for you and your dream girl?

AP: I don’t know, that’s hard to decide. I guess being down-to-earth, but it could be anything… her eyes, the way she talks. If she likes to sing that’s a definite plus!

HC: Where’s your ideal first date?

AP: I think concerts are perfect, they set the perfect vibe, but you should probably be talking. The zoo is a great place for a date too!

HC: The zoo would definitely be a very memorable date, especially this time of year. Do you have a favorite fall activity?

AP: I love the fall! I’d have to say pumpkin-picking or anything like that, it could be apple-picking or a hayride. On campus, I love just walking down Lapsley Lane and admiring the trees and nature, it’s so beautiful. Halloween is fun too!

HC: Halloween! That’s so soon, do you have a costume idea yet?

AP: I’m thinking a lumberjack, my roommates and I will definitely think of something good.

HC: Halloween in college is an event in itself; you have to think of multiple costumes to get you through the weekend! Besides Halloween and acapella, how do you like to spend your time here?

AP: Anything that consists of good friends, good music, and good vibes really sets you up for a great night of enjoying the company of people you love.

Andy (right center) with a group of friends at a concert last month at the Mann.

HC: You seem to be surrounded by so many loving friends here, do you have a most memorable moment from your time at SJU?

AP: Last year my friend had a small music festival at his house and a group of friends and I performed—it was magical.

Andy (right) is his element–performing with friends.

When he’s not singing or enjoying the company of his friends, Andy says he likes to live in a way that makes other happy, always putting those before himself. His favorite things to do at SJU are practice and perform with his acapella groups. Andy also plays the saxophone – he almost majored in music! But as a Food Marketing Co-op major, when Andy grows up he wants to be (wait for it…) a dad! How cute!

You can come hear him perform this semester at the next acapella night in the Perch! Thank you so much for sharing with us Andy! SJU is very lucky to have such a kind soul on campus.

-HCXO