Campus Celebrity- Kaitlin Neinstedt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

As the famous saying goes, “the grass is always greener on the other side.” In fact, Saint Joseph’s University has decided to turn over a new leaf by implementing a strong initiative on campus that does just that! Literally. Saint Joseph’s University is seeking out different ways to create a more green environment on campus.

What does it mean to “Go Green” at Saint Joseph’s University? I had the opportunity to interview, Kaitlin Neinstedt, a sophomore communications major, who is a passionate member and leader involved in The Green Fund. After interviewing for the position, Neinstedt knew a position on the Green Fund Advisory Board would not only benefit her time at SJU, but the future of our community.

The Green Fund brings together faculty, students and facilities together to create new sustainability efforts on campus. Neinstedt’s role in the organization is to combine her interest and motivation in sustainable efforts to  “make environmentally-conscious changes to SJU, by using our budget wisely and hosting education environmental programs through out the year to ensure students remain informed of our efforts.”

How is the “Green Fund” funded? In fact, all students on campus are providing a positive impact to this fund through their tuition. The current fund starts at the beginning of the year with $42,000 dollars. This is created through the processing of $5 from each enrolled student’s campus activity fund.

So, where are your five dollars going? This year, projects include adding reusable “to-go” containers for students in the dining hall (Campion), recycling and compost differentiators in Campions, as well as sponsorship and scholarships for Earth Week and programming for the student body through out the 2014-2015 academic year. 

In the past, “The Green Fund” has supplied water bottles for Relay for Life and Orientation, recycling bins for all classrooms and on-campus resident halls, water bottle filling stations at 28 locations on campus and high efficiency lights in O’Pake Recreation Center and Claver Hall. The account also supplies funding for events such as Hawks for H20 and Water Awareness Week.

Neinstedt had found the reusable take-out containers to be a huge change to the way Campion has been able to eliminate waste, “every student receives one at the beginning of the year, it cuts back on the cost of non-recyclable boxes and allows students to be time efficient, for instance one swipe goes a long way.“ It is a helpful addition to the way Campion operates.

Currently, The Green Fund is overseeing the installation of Solar Panels on top of Hagan Arena. The system should be fully in place by January 2015 and will be responsible for generating an estimated 2% of the universities energy usage.  The fund is dedicated to donating $10,000 per year over the next four years to expanding this initiative.

Neinstedt believes making an impact on campus is something that can be easily done through simple activities. “Little things can reduce your carbon foot print, such as recycling, riding a bike or running instead of driving everywhere, remembering to turn off the light when the room is inactive or to simply, use reusable water bottles rather than plastic ones. “

The Green Fund is always looking to become more involved with students wants and needs. If you have a proposal for how Saint Joseph’s Unviersty can continue to improve their efforts, please contact the greenfund@sju.edu.

Thank you, Kaitlin! Remember, the little things can truly create a more “green” campus.