Campus Celebrity: Courtney Castanza

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Campus Celeb Courtney Castanza is one tough cookie. Staten Island bred, she is one of the best known faces on SJU’s campus, and it’s not just because she is the only girl who rocks her eye glasses effortlessly every day. Courtney is a current junior double majoring in Elementary and Special education.

Courtney has been selected to be the orientation coordinator for the class of 2017, which all of us Hawks know, is a huge deal. Besides being in charge of the Red Shirts, Courtney is also in charge of her independent look. The fashionista channels a mix of retro pieces to complete her classically cute appearance. Read on to learn more about this honorary Hawk.

1.     Being the coordinator for orientation requires giving up a lot of your summer. What makes orientation at SJU worth it?

Courtney- Basically, just being able to introduce the incoming freshmen class to Hawk Hill is awesome. Having the opportunity to show them what St. Joes is really all about is an amazing experience.

2.     As a rising senior, what are you most looking forward to for your last year on campus?

C- That is a tough question! I am really looking forward to student teaching in the spring since I major in Education. Socially, I will be turning 21 in October so I cannot wait to go out with all my friends and classmates and enjoy our senior year together!

3.     What has been one of your favorite memories at SJU?

C- Besides being a Red Shirt, going on Appalachia for the past three years has been an extraordinary experience. Another favorite memory of mine has been being a sister of my sorority, Alpha Phi.

4.     What else are you involved in on campus?

C- Along with being a Red Shirt, an Alpha Phi sister, and going on Appalachia, I also am a Hawk Host for SJU. I also have participated in Weekly Service and Community Day. SJU offers so many things to do, which is why I love it so much.

5.     What are you most excited about regarding orientation?

C- Well, I am especially looking forward to this summer because we have a lot of newbies on the Red Shirt team, so I can’t wait to watch them as leaders for the first time. It will be exciting to see them interact with the freshmen. I am also looking forward to meeting all the new students who will be joining us on Hawk Hill!

6.     Besides orientation, what else is on your summer plans?

C- After orientation, I will be heading to Long Beach Island with my family to enjoy the weather and relax.

I plan on catching up on a lot of reading, TV, and sleep! After that, I will be moving into Manayunk with my five roommates to start our senior year!

Hello Collegiettes! My name is Kate Gentile and I am a current junior at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. My favorite things include my dog Lilly, traveling and really arsty instagrams. Oh, and I am obsessed with Kate Middleton AND Beyonce.I am a Comm major and double minor in Advertising, PR, and Entertainment Marketing. During my time at SJU, I have interned at Philly Mag, became a sister of Alpha Phi and studied abroad last semester in Roma, Italy.After studying abroad, I now want to see many places all over the world and live for moments of beautiful unplanned enjoyment- random road trips to the beach, stopping for a drink at a cool dive bar- you name it, I am down to experience!HC SJU is an amazing team of 40+ girls (and growing) who want to offer you content of news, love, college and more. I hope you enjoy the HC SJU site and my own writing!HC XO,Kate