Campus Celebrities: Erin Shields & Ashley Robinson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

This week in the spotlight, are two of the Saint Joe’s Women’s Basketball team captains: Erin Shields and Ashley Robinson. These two women helped lead the team to the A10 win last season. Both women represent Women Student Athletes and are true role models to look up her on campus.

Let’s learn a bit more about the girls:

Where are you from?

Erin: Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania.

Ashley:  I am from Warrington, PA, I went to Archbishop High school.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Erin: I am a Finance and Accounting Major. I have a brother who went to Fordham, an older sister who played at Boston College, and a younger sister who goes to the University of San Diego.  Both of my parents went to SJU, and my Mom played here.  I went to Archbishop Carroll and will play many of my former teammates this year.

Ashley: I am a fifth year senior, who still had another year left of eligibility due to tearing both my Achilles freshman and sophomore years, with that being said I was able to finish my undergrad degree early my undergrad degree is in Sports marketing and I am currently pursuing a Masters in Managing Human Capital.

Why did you choose Saint Joe’s for basketball?

Erin: My Mom and Aunt played here, so I grew up a St. Joe’s fan.  I have always loved the team, the people, and school atmosphere.  It feels like family. 

Ashley: The reason I choose St. Joe’s was basically because I wanted to stay close to home and it’s kind of the big deal playing where I grew up.

(Erin Shields)

When did you start playing? 

Erin: I started playing before I can even remember, but the first time I was on a team was when I was probably 5 or 6.

Ashley:  I started playing around the age of 11.

Outside of basketball, what do you like to do?

Erin: Outside of basketball. I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, sleeping, and eating.

Ashley: Outside of basketball I am a very chill person, like to spend time with my family and friends, always shopping of course and pampering myself to some girl time.

What’s it like being a woman athlete on SJU’s campus? 

Erin: It has been great.  I think we have gained fans over the years, which is a positive.  I think that being an athlete gives you many connections, which is definitely one of the best things that has come out of this experience. 

Ashley: It’s a great school to be a female athlete on campus and a have a chance to represent your school on the court and on a national scale as well, very well-known and very well respected and looked to as a role model to other female athletes as well.

What was it like winning that A10s last season? 

Erin: It was unbelievable.  I had always dreamed of winning an A10 championship as a hawk, and it was surreal when it actually happened.  That was one of the best days of my life.

Ashley:  It was definitely an amazing feeling winning the A10 last season, it’s a memory that we will all have and share forever.

(Ashley Robinson)

What do you hope for this season? 

Erin: I hope that we can win another A10 Championship and make it to the NCAA Tournament.  I hope that we are able to enjoy every day that we have the opportunity to step out on the court and compete with Saint Joseph’s University across our jerseys.

Ashley:  For this season I hope to accomplish winning the BIG 5 which have not done since I have been here, become back to back A10 champs and to also make it make to the NCAA tournament and get some wins under our belt there.

What do you want to pass on to the younger girls on the team who look up to you? 

Erin: Always enjoy it.  For some players, enjoying it is being good at it, so practicing is vital.  For others, enjoying it is just being part of a team, which is great too.  Regardless, strive to always be a good teammate.  That is what you and your teammates will remember most.

Ashley: I would like to pass on that this game is truly a joy to play, what you put into it is what you will get out of it, always push through all the obstacles because nothing is impossible.

Check out these ladies this season on the court!