Campus Celeb: Greg McTiernan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity, Greg McTiernan, is one of few rugby players that Her Campus has had the chance to interview in the past. It’s time to bring some light to this growing sport and its teammates for the tremendous success they have had over the past few seasons. I’m happy to introduce Greg to Her Campus this week and get to know Rugby a little better.

Background:

Year: Sophomore

Major: Sports Marketing

Nickname on the field: McT

HC: What is your position?

GM: Fly-half.

HC: For those of us who don’t know what that is, could you elaborate?

GM: I mostly distribute the ball and set up other players, like the quarterback in football.

HC: How long have you been playing rugby for?

GM: Since the 6th grade. I grew up watching my brother and cousins play and they inspired me to pick up the sport.

HC: What are your expectations for the spring season?

GM: To win our conference championship and to finish well at the collegiate rugby championship in the summer.

HC: What’s your biggest game coming up?

GM: The collegiate rugby championship this summer. The top twenty teams in the country are invited to play for three days at the PPL Park. It will also be broadcasted on NBC. Make sure to buy a ticket and come watch!

HC: How has the season gone so far?

GM: We came in third at the Las Vegas Invitational in February and are currently ranked number 6 in the country.

HC: What have you learned since freshman year?

GM: How to be a team player. Playing at a higher level with better players has enhanced my skills tremendously.

HC: How has being a rugby player impacted you as a student as Saint Joe’s?

GM: It has taught me that dedication and hard work pays off.

HC: What do you like the most about being part of the rugby team at Saint Joe’s?

GM: The four hours of lift, practice and film every other day. 

Thank you, Greg! Good luck with the rest of your season.

HCXO,

Rebecca

Rebecca Sliwak is the current Editor-In-Chief for Her Campus at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia. She is studying Communications and Marketing as a senior, is a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, studied abroad in Madrid, and has been on the Her Campus SJU team since sophomore year.