The Calorie Game: How To Live A Healthy Life With A Balanced Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Dr. Ruggieri earned her Ph.D. in public health from Temple University and is now a interdisciplinary health services professor here at SJU.  Her Campus SJU sat down with Dr. Ruggieri to ask her health questions that most college aged girls are wondering about. Covering everything from snacks to drinking, Dr. Ruggieri explained to us how food and alcohol affects the body. And how, as college women, we should be treating our bodies.

Her Campus: How did you get your start in nutrition?

Dr. Ruggieri: “I’ve been into studying nutrition all of my life, well since I was 14.  It was fascinating reading how food body, energy levels, concentration levels, and overall health. I became very interested in nutrition my sophomore year of college.  During this year, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time; being a young woman this was so scary.  So, I decided to research The Breast Cancer Prevention Diet… this turned on a light bulb for me that food has an impact on everything.  It can prevent you from having health problems in the future as well as help change existing health issues.”

All of Dr. Ruggieri’s course work revolved around research and trying to help people understand that it is possible to help others through food.

HC: How have you enjoyed your time at SJU so far?

DR: “I really like it! It’s very different than my previous experience at Temple.  The students here are very interested and enthusiastic.  And I think it’s good to be curious at this age!  Everyone here is focused on service and services to the university… the student body is definitely focused on the whole purpose of life.”

HC: What’s your SJU Meal Plan?

DR: “I’ve really noticed the lack of food options on campus, I came from a much larger school where we had tons of options!  The only healthy options on campus are to get a salad from Cosi or Campion…. So I usually just pack food for myself.  I’m on campus til 8:30pm so I usually eat a full breakfast at home (or on the go) and pack a snack, lunch, a second snack, and dinner.  I make sure to eat every three hours!  I make my students keep a food journal and encourage them to focus on fruits and veggies.  Portion control is a huge thing as well!  Your plate should be ½ fruits and veggies, ¼ protein, and ¼ starches and carbs… a good website to check out it www.MyPlate.gov

For lunch I go with a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread with spinach or lettuce, tomato, and honey mustard (if you’re going to go with cheese choose a light cheese). For snacks I got for apples with peanut butter, string cheese, carrots with ranch dressing.

I live my life with the 80/20 plan… 80% of the time I eat whole foods that are unprocessed and 20% of the time I enjoy whatever I want, but, in moderation!”

HC: What are some other healthy snack options?

DR:  “Let’s start with bars… so, many bars are bad for you!! Some good options for bars are Kashi, KIND, and Lara. Kashi Granola Bars are whole grain, with no high fructose corn syrup, low in sugar, and have no added chemicals.  KIND Bars are whole foods and all natural!  Lara Bars are a good option for people with nut allergies because they offer bars without nuts.  Other healthy snacks are hummus, peanut butter and apples, cheese and crackers, yogurts, and bananas.”

HC: Many girls find it difficult to balance a social drinking life with the high calories meal options offered on campus.  What are some low cal drinks that won’t ruin somebodies calorie intake?

DR: “The lighter the drink the fewer the calories!  Vodka is less than a daiquiri or a long island iced tea.  The more liquor that’s in a drink the more sugar… so try a vodka soda rather than a mixed drink.  Wine is always a healthier option; a glass of red wine is around 100 calories.  If you’re a beer drinker, go for the light versions!  Skinny Girl Cocktails are also low in calories.  If you’re making a mixed drink, water down the fruit juice or soda before you mix… this will reduce the sugar and the calories!  People gain around 10 lbs a year just from soda! So water it down!! Did you know, that at a party, let’s say you have around 4 drinks… at that party you’re probably going to consume between 1000 and 2000 calories.”

HC: What’s a way girls can avoid drunk eating?

DR: “Before you go out eat a meal with a lot of fiber and protein, so like, veggies and fruit.  Those help fill you up and your body will be full so you won’t be able to drink as much.  Alcohol is nothing but sugar, which is why we crave food after a night of drinking!  When you come home you’re going to be craving sugar and salt… try dessert flavored yogurt, or fruity gum, these will help curb the drunk cravings. The FIRST thing you should do when you get home though is drink water!  A lot of times we mistake thirst for hunger.  If you drink lots of water and stay away from food your cravings should pass is about 20 minutes!  If you really are craving food though, pick a snack that won’t ruin your whole day!  Smart Balance Popcorn, tortilla chips, Laughing Cow cheese.”

HC: Every week there is a new fad diet… do they work?

DR:  “Fad diets are a NO!  You are restricting you calories so you will lose weight but you are basically shutting off your metabolism and your body goes into starvation mode.  You’re body knows it’s not getting enough calories so it protects itself by saving fat.  When you start eating normally again you will gain all the weight back and more because your body still thinks it’s in starvation mode.  A good way to lose weight is to eat breakfast because it kick starts your metabolism! Fad diets slow your metabolism down… it’s like a yoyo cycle your weight will just go up and down.”

HC: What are some improvements that SJU can make to become healthier?

DR: “Have more gluten free options on campus! And more whole grains!  I go into Campion and there is very little of these two things!  Also, make fruits and veggies more accessible to the students! It would be VERY easy to have a little café of fruits and veggies or a food truck with healthy wraps and salads.  Merion has a little snack bar that actually has some healthy options!  We should extend those to all around campus.  Temple has 20 food trucks set up on campus… we should have that on 54th street! But, overall I’ve seen way worse schools than SJU… a few little tweaks can go a long way!”

Clare is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus SJU.  She joined the team in August of 2014 as a contributing writer and later was elected to be the chapter's first secretary.  She is a Chicago native who is currently a junior at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia.  At SJU she is a Communication Studies major, Advertising and Promotions minor, and is a member of Alpha Gamma Delta. This upcoming summer, Clare will be interning at BHLDN, an URBN company.