Best 90s Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

It’s officially the time of year when orange is the new pink, we paint our nails black, carve pumpkins, go on that search for the perfect costume, eat too much candy, and of course, watch the best Halloween movies from our childhood.  Some of the most classic movies in general came out in the 90s and Halloween specials are no expection. Read on about the unforgettable spooky movies that you have to watch at your next movie night!

Hocus Pocus (1993), starring Bettle Midler and Sarah Jessica Parker, is a horror comedy film about three quirky witches known as the Sanderson Sisters that are resurrected from 17th-century Salem by some unsuspecting kids. Mary, Winifred, and Sarah, stir up some toil and trouble trying to reclaim their youth by casting a spell on the whole town. But three kids and a talking cat (of course) are here to save the day in this hilariously nutty film. Hocus Pocus is a ridiculously witty and creepy classic that you would be depriving yourself not to watch. 

Halloweentown (1998) is a movie about a young girl, Marnie, that discovers she is a witch like her grandmother and mom on Halloween. Her mother hides the fact that she is a witch but when her grandmother, Aggie, comes to visit, she can’t stop her from telling Marnie she is a witch and introducing her to a world where werewolves, ghouls, ghosts, and witches exist apart from the human world. Marnie is in awe of this magical place, but she soon finds herself in quite a conundrum battling evil warlocks and curses that threaten the world of Halloweentown. This movie is so much fun packed in a perfect Halloween-filled present. And it doesn’t stop here, you have to watch the whole series!

“Being normal is vastly overrrated”

-Aggie Cromwell, Halloweentown

Double Double, Toil and Trouble (1993) stars fan favorites Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen as adorable procosious youngsters that are taken on a crazy adventure when they discover their evil Aunt Agatha is a witch that has trapped her twin sister in a mirror in her attic for seven years among other terribly malicious things. In order to stop Agatha and release their Great Aunt Sophia, the girls must go on a mission to steal the moonstone from the witch.

Be sure to check these out while eating yummy candy with your girlfriends!