nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A balance between passion and business: Bertha Serrano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

There is a question that seems to be revolving around most college students’ lives: “What do you want to do with your life?” Whether you are aspiring to be a doctor or an accountant, a school teacher or a lawyer, there always seems to be a margin of doubt. We find ourselves struggling with the decision to do what inspires us but also keeps us economically stabilized. Do not panic collegians!  I am here to tell you that through ups and downs we will ALL find our place in the world.

Those who are looking to pursue their passion as well as make ends meet: It can be done! Everyone please meet Bertha Serrano, a 22 year old  owner, designer and builder of Fulgore: a unique fashion boutique located in her hometown of Guayaquil, Ecuador. Fulgore collection has an extreme amount of diversity within it. All designed by herself, Fulgore makes jewelry shoes, purses and clothing.

Bertha Serrano is not only a great designer and businesswoman; she is also very down to earth. Although her life and career is far away, Her Campus SJU was able to reach her and ask her a couple of questions.

Q: Can you tell me a little about yourself? What is your major and what made you choose that career path? What are your passions? How would you describe yourself?

A: My name is Bertha Serrano, currently have a Bachelor’s in Marketing and I specialize in Branding, graduating from Santa María University (Guayaquil, Ecuador). My passion has always been design and it has always caught my attention. I have found myself wanting to combine two passions: shoes and clothes. I describe myself as a natural, cheerful and outgoing person.

Q: How did you come up with the idea of Fulgore? What inspire you to start your own business?

A: Fulgore was where I started my life and continue to grow. My knowledge in college has increased, and Fulgore has been the merging point for everything I like the most.

Q: How did you start the business? How were the first sales made? Was it always successful? Tell us a little about the history of your business.

A: Fulgore was initiated as a reverse strategy of any conventional business; it started via social networks and home deliveries. Everything was personally delievered to our customers, as well as customized their products to their standards. I started crafting hair ties, which eventually lead into my passion of shoe design and we currently have our own shoe line. I believe that success lies behind the eye of the beholder. Every product tells a story, I believe people do not want to sell you something that is just simple, what they need is something that will potentially bring them happiness.

Q: Did you expect it to become this big? When did you realize it had become such a huge trend?

A: Nothing was planned, everything started as a hobby but I am happy that it has grown so fast in such a short period of time.

Q: I know you have been exposed to a wide variety of media in your hometown and throughout your whole country. How do you feel about it? Is it how you thought it was going to be?

A: The truth is, that was not our goal, but as “Fulgore” we are happy that many people know of our products, they recognize and wear them,  and it is important to emphasize that there are great people behind me who work daily to bring their ideas to life.

Q: What would you say is the style the brand carries? What are some statement pieces that you would say are particular to Fulgore?

A: I think Fulgore is a box of surprises, we manage many colors, and we link up to global trends with a touch of our national trends.

Q: What are your next steps? Do you have a long time plan to keep the brand as it is, or are you expanding?

A: Yes, we are expanding, but as I said Fulgore is full of surprises and it will always be. We want everything to work out as we grow and most importantly it won’t lose it’s magic of creating stories

Q: Can you give our readers some life advice about choosing a career path? What would you say was the key to your own success?

A: I believe that the key to success is to believe deeply in every detail, going beyond conventional, and above all, do what makes you happy.

As you can see, finding out what you want in life takes not only time but also a lot of patience and thought. Bertha is a great role model for all of us; she pursued her dream and put a lot of effort in continuing to see it grow. So put your heads up ladies, figure out what your passions are and never give up pursuing them.

Feel free to follow Fulgore on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to check out all the new things they offer. For international deliveries you can write to store@fulgore.com.ec Check them out: www.fulgore.com.ec

Wishing you the best always,

XOXO

Nicole Enderica

Born and raised in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Majoring in Communication Studies at Saint Joseph's University. I am a fashion lover since day one, I am pretty sure it is in my genes. I believe that knowledge is important, love and kindness are necessary, faith is what holds everything together, and being girly doesn't hurt anyone.