This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

APEX, the Appalachian Experience, is a term that frequently circulates Hawk Hill. It is a weeklong immersion trip that is centered on service and community.  During this past week members of APEX immersed themselves in the culture and lifestyle of the community that they were aiding. Here’s a look into four of the seventeen service trips that happened during spring break:

Neon, Kentucky:

Population: 850

Distance from Philadelphia: 10.5 hours

Project: H.O.M.E.S (Housing Oriented Ministries Established for Service), an organization that provides affordable housing for those in need.

“What I loved about Neon/APEX is that it gave me the opportunity to meet people that I otherwise would have never gotten the chance to meet, but the experience also helped me to learn more about myself. As I finish out senior year I feel ready to take on the next adventure life throws at me because of the things I was able to learn about myself and others through this experience.” – Emily Pinto ‘16

“As a transfer, APEX and Neon allowed me to meet 35 new friends who I would have never met otherwise. It allowed me to help others in the Neon community while also learning so much about myself and my peers. I am beyond thankful for the memories and friends I made in Neon and I couldn’t be more thankful for having had this opportunity!” Colleen Sullivan ‘17

Deer Lodge, Tennessee

Distance from Philadelphia: 12 hours

Project: Morgan-Scott Project, an organization that “develops activities, provides training, offers assistance, and give supports to help break the cycle of poverty and enable people to help themselves.”

“Do small things with great love. That was our motto for the week” – Kara Galena ‘18

Jonesville, Virginia

Population: 995

Distance from Philadelphia: 9 hours

Project: Appalachia Service Project; provides hope and service to those in need by providing volunteer home repairs.

“Jonesville was exactly what I needed this spring break. With an incredibly busy and stressful semester, I can happily say that I found a community of great people that reminded me of the importance of staying grounded and living in the moment.” – Faith Gentilucci ‘18

“Jonesville welcomed us with open arms and let us connect with the community right away. Our group as a whole bonded over the opportunity and became a family through this experience.” –Sean Lenahan ‘16

Bluefield, West Virginia

Distance from Philadelphia: 8 hours

Project: The Wade Center, “In the heart of the community with the community in our heart”. Provides educational, recreational, and cultural resources for the community of Bluefield.

“This was my first time on Apex and I’m so grateful for the experience. Playing with the children at the Wade Center and learning their stories was so eye opening.” –Emily Kelly ‘18

Live greater Hawks.

HCXO,

Mary