AMA Presents College to Career: Everything you Need to Know to Make a Smooth Transition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

The semester is nearing an end and for some students the pressure is on. In addition to final tests and assignments, some of us may be anticipating… “The Real World.”  Whether this dreaded thought means taking on a future career or simply applying to an internship, the anxiety is overwhelming. Presenting a solution to this common fear, the American Marketing Association (AMA) previously hosted their first annual regional conference on campus to teach students how to easily transition from “College to a Career.” Appealing to students from the Philadelphia region of all majors, the full day event held in Mandeville Teletorium taught students how to make their college experience effective.

Giuliana Carella, Junior Food Marketing Co-op student and AMA events coordinator, explained that conferences such as this one present “A lot of opportunities, and we want our audience to get the most out of the experience.”

The AMA is well known for producing successful events, and this particular conference was no exception. The day began with keynote speaker and former alumni, Vince Boyd. Reminiscing on his college experience at Saint Joseph’s he shared both his best and worst experiences. Whether he was busy falling in love or coping with Napoleon Dynamite for a roommate, he realized each experience shaped his journey and created a moment of impact in his life. 

Boyd followed up his personal story at Saint Joseph’s with advice on how he received a wealth management position at Northwestern Mutual. He told students to always be prepared and perform research on a company before proceeding with the interview process. In the interview stage he pointed out the importance of a dialogue rather than a monologue.  Repeatedly nodding your head in agreement with the employer is just not enough to make an impression. Boyd encourages us to “Be a little crazy,” and ask the employer intriguing questions.  He reminded the audience, “It is not always what you go through, but how you react to it that makes a difference.”

Mike Missanelli, a man who revolutionized Philadelphia sports radio, followed Boyd’s discussion.  He identified the fact that not all career paths are direct. He began as a journalism student at Penn State, added Law studies, and ended up as a TV and radio spokesperson. Complicated is an understatement, but smart is a fact.  From his first job as a journalism writer to his current profession at 97.5, The Fantatic, he continuously worked hard to make a name for himself. Although his career can be perceived as a combination of hard work and a little luck, Missanelli reminds us, “Luck comes from people knowing you are good.” In essence, young college students have time…Time to make their own luck.

The third speaker, Dave Niedbalski, made a strong impact on the audience. Niedbalski is not your typical employee stuck in a cubical from 9-5. Acting as the youngest marketing director in the U.S for Live Nation, he is constantly outside the office. His role includes promoting musicians and interacting with fans and managers at Live Nation events. Thanks to Niedbalski, concert festivals such as Made In America are a success, and stars like Paramore, Pink, and Lady Gaga all perform in the Philadelphia region. He also emphasized the importance of internships to gain field knowledge. Niedbalski’s internship experience proved music was his passion and therefore the type of career he would pursue. Although finding a job or internship is often a difficult task, Niedbalski tells us to always “Keep your ear to the ground,” because you never know when an opportunity will strike.

The final event of the day hosted a guest speaker from Saint Joseph’s career service department. The presentation summed up three ways to make the transition from college to a career efficient.  First is to know yourself. Using the S.T.A.R (Situation-Task-Action-Result) method is one way to “brand you.” Two is build a network. This consists of building strong relationships and recognizing opportunities to meet potential employers. Networks in today’s society are generated through online technologies. This means strategically managing accounts such as Linked In, Facebook, and Twitter. The third piece of advice is to be professional. Though we are part of the “trophy generation” (everyone wins) we can maintain a level of professionalism by recognizing and respecting business leaders.

Each speaker’s story presented different ways in which we as students can fulfill our career goals.  Despite their differences, each reminded us that in times of doubt we must be willing to “Go for it” or  “simply take a chance.”  In the words of Mike Missanelli, “When opportunities come your way, take a chance and make it work.”

My name is Kelly Patterson and I am currently a Junior Marketing major at Saint Joseph's University.