8 Unexpected Things to Expect When Studying Abroad In Italy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Two Words: No Chipotle. Two New Words: Pasta Carbonara.

1. You will have to how learn to survive without a drier. Nobody tells you that there isn’t going to be a drier. Okay, maybe they did, but still, you didn’t realize how horrifying and tricky it was going to be. But trust me, learning how to balcony dry your clothes will make you feel very Katniss-esque. And hey, maybe if we were used to this, our country would have a smaller carbon footprint. Real talk. 

2. You usually have to pay to go the bathroom. This fact combined with how much wine you will most likely be drinking causes you to think outside the box. That may include acting like you are staying in one of the many tourist-ridden hotels in your respective Italian city and make a beeline for the bathroom. Say ciao and act natural. 

3. Connecting with friends and family can be difficult. If you don’t have Wi-Fi, which you won’t have most places, it can be hard to send all those to pictures to your loved ones that are supposed to make them super jealous. Don’t fret too much though, not being able to connect lets you fully take in each experience (er, bite) and your #TBTs will be the envy of all.

4. You will probably miss things about America that you don’t even like. There’s a 76% chance you will well up at the sight of a McDonalds (which you find disgusting on your home turf). But in Europe you will go in and chow down on some greasy fries and whisper under your breath, “God Bless America.” 

5. Sightseeing while hungover is going to be the Worst. Thing. Ever. But thankfully, it’s been a thing in Rome since Ceaser’s days to have fountains nearly every ten feet that continuously have clean drinking water. Bring a bottle and fill-er up! There is too much to see to waste your time dry-heaving in front of the Coliseum.

6. If you try to venture out in stilettos you will definitely break your face. Italian streets are primarily cobblestone. So, if you like your body in one piece I suggest your cutest flats, converse, or if you feel like living life on the edge, maybe whip out a wedge (rhyming is fun). It’s custom to get a drink and then, socialize in the street in Italy, so you want to put your best foot foward (ugh, so punny).

Addendum: no open container law. Whaddup. 

7. If a restaurant brings your table bread, it is not FO FREE. Europeans are not into giving out anything without a price (see #2). But you might want to just splurge, because it’s pretty darn delectable. When in Rome! Right?! 

8. You’re going to have the time of your life and it will change you forever. Exploring Italy – in despite of the worst homesickness and hangovers – is one of the most thrilling, beautiful experiences you will ever have in your life. You’ll never want to leave. Your life (and taste buds) will never be the same.

Go to Italy. Just do it. You won’t regret it. 

HCXO,

Allie