8 People You Meet in a St. Joe’s Philosophy Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Maybe you know one, maybe you are one, but chances are, you’ve had these people in your philosophy class.

1.The Soap Box Preacher

Chances are, they’ve gotten off the topic of philosophy completely and just have something they want to get out there. Maybe it’s about how pockets have become too small; maybe it’s about the lines at Chipotle being perpetually long. Whatever the case, this person has something they want all of you to hear, and even the professor doesn’t know how to stop them. Please send help. 

2. The Blow Your Mind Guy

This guy doesn’t talk all too much, but when he does the things that come out of his mouth make part of your brain hurt. He has somehow risen to the ranks of Voltaire and Plato in a matter of seconds. How did you do that? Did you just make up words? I can’t tell, I have a headache now. 

3. The Guy Who May or May Not Be Dead

He has his hood up and his head down on his desk every class. You turn around every so often to see if he’s still breathing.  Was that movement? You’re not totally sure. But he always gets up at the end of class, which is a good sign.

4. The Philosophy Major

They know everything. Do not question them. They’ve read every philosophical tome known to man, just for fun. Never mind that this is an entry-level course, they’re going hard in the paint.

5. The Girl Who Makes Everything Simple

She is the opposite of Blow Your Mind Guy. Her sentences typically start with, “So what you’re saying is.” She then explains months of complicated philosophical theory like it was basic shapes. Suddenly, everything makes sense. We all love Girl Who Makes Everything Simple. We copy down what comes out of her mouth more than actual notes.

6. The Guy That Just Nods

What does his voice sound like? You have no idea. He hasn’t said a single word all semester. Just nods. He probably doesn’t get it either.

7. The Group Project Warrior

When there is a group project to be done, this person is already locked and loaded. Not only have they equally delegated the responsibilities, but they’ve also picked the best topic and have volunteered to put together the Prezi.  They are super crazy organized and not afraid to kick the butts of the slackers in the group. Go them. (Spoiler Alert the Prezi is awesome).

8. The Professor Who Loves What They Do

Philosophy can be a hard concept to grasp, but nothing makes it easier than having a professor who truly loves what they’re teaching. They get excited when you read their research, they plan their classes to a T, and they’re ecstatic when you have questions. Hats off to you, the Professor Who Loves What They Teach. You make class fly by and never stop pushing us to learn more. 

Hi internet friends! My name is Cristiana and I'm a senior English major, Communications minor from New Rochelle, New York. I've had a passion for writing before I could walk and am so excited to be sharing that with you all. My goal is to not only entertain and bring humor into the magazine world, but to also empower women and raise awareness of the social and cultural issues we face. I'm an astronomy lover and a cheese enthusiast, as well as constantly hooked up to an IV of caffeine. Ask me about baseball teams. Enjoy my sass and love of carbs? Follow me on Twitter for an endless supply; @doublecee21