7 Starbucks Tips and Secrets you NEED to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Feed the inner coffee addict within you.

We all know and love Starbucks, and for some reason we can’t ever get enough of it.

It’s 8:30 AM, the line is out the door. All you want is your grande iced caramel macchiato (with extra drizzle, of course), and before you know it, you’ll be on your third cup by noon.

Have you ever wondered if there’s more to Starbucks than what meets the (Siren’s) eye? Look no further because below are some of the most buzzworthy secrets you need to know.

1. Starbucks Logo

The world famous Starbucks logo is not a mermaid, despite contrary beliefs. It’s actually a mythical creature called a Siren that was inspired by the novel Moby Dick in the 1970s when Starbucks originated in Seattle.

2. Grande vs Venti Secret

If you think that you need a venti latte instead of your usual grande latte for a bigger kick of caffeine, think again. Both grande and venti hot espresso drinks contain the same amount of coffee: 2 shots of espresso. The difference between them is that a venti just has more milk.

3. Frappuccinos

Frappuccinos, everyone’s guilty pleasure, actually contain very small trace amounts of coffee… like… almost none. Unless you ask for a shot of espresso in it. The “coffee” in frappuccinos is almost like an “instant coffee” powder mixed with water. It’s called Frap Roast and it’s blended to perfection along with milk, ice, and other flavored syrups. Make sure you get extra whipped cream, too!

4. Some Beginner Coffee Lingo

If you’re not a crazy coffee connoisseur, these key-words will help make your order sound more professional if you don’t know how to say exactly what you want.

• Doppio: 2 shots, Triple: 3 shots, Quad: 4 shots

• Red eye: hot coffee with 1 shot of espresso, Black eye: hot coffee with 2 shots of espresso, Green eye: you guessed it! Hot coffee with 3 shots of espresso.

• Affogato: espresso shot poured on top (most commonly recognized in caramel macchiatos where the coffee is on top, milk is on bottom)

• Con Panna: espresso poured over whipped cream… yum!

5. The Secret Menu

The next time you tell your barista that you want to try “that new secret menu drink”, don’t. This may be a shock, but the Secret Menu doesn’t exist… Heartbreaking, I know.  Most of the time, your barista won’t know what you’re talking about unless you know what goes into the actual drink. For instance, if you ask for a “Cinnabon  Frappuccino”, your barista might not even know what that is, unless you know exactly what it is, and can specify for them (in case you’re curious, it’s a Vanilla Bean Frappuccino with cinnamon dolce and white mocha, delish!).

6. Where the Caffeine Hides

Adding an extra shot of espresso to your iced latte might be just enough kick to get you through that afternoon slump, but the drinks that contain the MOST caffeine are… drumroll please… Starbucks Refreshers! The Cool Lime, Strawberry Acai, and the Berry Hibiscus refresher have more caffeine in them than 3 shots of espresso!

7. Discount? Yes, Please!

If you bring your own reusable Starbucks cup into a store with you, then Starbucks will take 10 cents off your total. It’s not much, but saving a little bit here and there goes a long way!

HCXO,

Devon

Saint Joseph's University Campus Correspondent