6 Things You Need to Know About Pope Francis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

In just a few short weeks, the city of Philadelphia will be welcoming Pop Francis on his first venture to the United States for the World Meeting of Families. Being that Pope Francis is a Jesuit, this is particularly exciting for all of us at SJU. In staying true to his Jesuit nature, Pope Francis has done far beyond what is expected of him. He’s definitely got the Magis.

He is far from any average Pope, he’s a cool Pope.  Pope Francis has over ten million followers on Twitter, is a huge soccer fan, rides public transportation, and was once a bouncer at a nightclub in his native Argentina. Here are six things you should know about Pope Francis before his arrival to Philly!

1.     He is actually the first pope to choose the name Francis! Even cooler, he picked it in honor of St. Francis of Assisi because of his compassion and love for the poor.

2.     For example, to celebrate his 77th birthday, he invited four homeless men to a Mass and meal at the Vatican. How about that for a birthday party.

3.     Last April he took two 11-year-old boys on a ride through St. Peter’s Square on his Popemobile.

4.     He is also the first pope to ever grace the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. What a rockstar!

5.     He gives great love advice too! Last Valentine’s Day, Pope Francis spoke to thousands of young engaged couples about the key to a happy and successful marriage.

6.     And to top it all off, he auctioned off his Harley-Davidson motorcycle and donated the money to a soup kitchen that serves the homeless in Rome.

In breaking with tradition, Pope Francis has changed the way people view the pope for the better. From all of us at SJU, we can’t wait to welcome you.  

HCXO