This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Fall is my favorite season because of the aesthetic scenery that accompanies it. The jewel-toned leaves spread across the ground like a rug, covering the grass in a swirl of oranges, reds, and yellows. Fall is so exciting because it is back to school season and the introduction of brand new things in the world of fashion and beauty. Typically, makeup trends seem to follow a specific pattern, but a beautiful pattern none-the-less. Fall gives us the power to create and experiment with neutral colors. This is why fall beauty is talked about non stop, anybody can wear it! Here are a few of the trends that have hit the makeup shelves this season:

1. Plum/Oxblood Lips: Recently, the lipstick color of choice seems to be a dark red or purple color. This color is flattering on almost any skin type and can truly bring out the color of one’s eyes. The darkness of the lip will only contrast the brightness of your eyes, making the eyes shine. This color is a play on the 90’s theme of dark lipliner, but in a much more chic way. Celebrities are spotted everywhere sporting this dark, ravishing color. Take a look at Selena Gomez. You can purchase this color at any makep supply store in your area, such as CVS. A great option is: Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in Burgundy Shine, $7.29

2. CC Cream: Ok, I know what you’re all thinking. First BB cream, and now CC cream? Don’t worry, I promise you there is a difference. Last year, BB cream stocked the shelves, promoting itself as a “beauty balm” and its skin perfecting benefits. Not only does CC cream ALSO do this, but it incorporates an extra bonus. A color corrector. This is a hot commodity among people who have uneven skin tone, particularly with aging skin. CC cream is sheerer than BB cream tends to be, which can be good for those who don’t need to wear foundation but just need a little skin booster. Try: L’Oreal Visible Lift CC Cream, $15.99

3.Orange/Copper Eyeshadow: What better way to reflect fall than with your eyeshadow? But, don’t be alarmed I can assure you that you will definitely not look like a clown. I do admit that seeing the words orange and eyeshadow in the same sentence is a bit freaky, but colors can be tweaked in order to look presentable. Copper is a shade that looks absolutely gorgeous on any eye color because of its metallic twinge. Shades that are more brown will compliment brown eyes and the ones that are slightly orange will bring out the baby blues. But of course, shimmery shades aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. The same idea can be achieved with matte, peach shades. Try: Stila Cosmetics Eyeshadow Pan in Compact-Copper, $18

4.Bold Eyeliner: The fall/winter months are all about accentuation. This is the time when you can actually get away with wearing dark colors on your face while not looking as if you spend 90% of your life hiding from the sun. Something that has continued to look amazing is the winged cat-eye. The beauty about eyeliner is that you can make the line as thick or as thin as you would like. But, an ideal way of applying is thinner towards the tear duct and gradually thicker towards the end . Flicking the line upwards at the end will give your eye a feline shape, which is timeless and extremely flattering. Try Maybelline Line Stiletto Ultimate Precision Liquid Eyeliner, $7.25

5.Matte Foundation: Since fall makeup can be quite glamorous, I suggest you skip the dewey-skin look with this one. The attention is mainly going to be on the eyes or lips, therefore we want to keep the skin neutral. A good way to do this is opt for a foundation with a matte-finish. As a result, your skin will lose shine, but in a good way. It will look more flawless and your pores will virtually disappear. Also, if you want to wear a bold color on your eyes or lips, matte foundation will balance out the face and make it appear more toned-down. To achieve this, you will want to start with applying moisturizer to the face because this will help distribute the foundation easily. Then, use a flat makeup brush to apply a light coat all over the face. (You can always build up product, but it is harder to take away!) Try: Revlon ColorStay Liquid Foundation, $8.00