This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Woodstock goes down in history as the most successful music festival and there hasn’t been one to compare. Whether you are into music or not, here is a list of five fast facts about the historical event.

1. The festival is commonly known as “3 days of peace and music” and was from August 15-18, 1969.

2. It was held in Bethel, NY on a dairy farmer’s land, Max Yasgur. The purpose of the event was to raise money to open a recording studio.

3. It is estimated that 500,000 people were in attendance. About 1 million traveled to Bethel, but thousands were turned away by the police. Traffic was so chaotic that the highways literally turned into parking lots: hippies parked their cars and walked the rest of the way to the festival.

4. Surprisingly even with the copious amounts of people, there was very little to no violence. However, there were two deaths. One man died from a drug overdose and the other was a man who was run over by a tractor. There were also two births.

5. Some of the musicians that performed during Woodstock were Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and Grateful Dead.

t

HCXO,

Megan