5 Costumes That Are So Last Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Halloween is just a few short days away and you still don’t know what to be. Now is not the time to be lazy and bring out the cat ears and cowgirl boots. This Halloween is the year to think outside the box and let your creativity shine. You don’t want to be seen in some recycled idea that everyone was wearing last year!

Here are 5 looks to avoid this Halloween:

1.) Miley Cyrus. I’m talking about the short blonde hair, leotard, and foam finger look. And please, keep your tongue in your mouth. While Miley Cyrus is still the same, if not crazier, pop star she was from last year, this costume is definitely outdated and overused.

2.) Minions. They are still adorable, but definitely no longer an acceptable costume choice. Go for a more up-to-date animated character like Elsa from Frozen.

3.) Sexy cat. I too have fallen victim to this last minute costume idea.  While showing skin may be the seemingly easy way to go, it is such a copout! The sexy cat look has lost its appeal so it’s time to ditch the cat ears.

4.) Katniss Everdeen. The braid and bow and arrow look is still cool, but 2014 has provided us with a whole new set of “warriors” to work with. Switch it up with Divergent’s star, Shailene Woodly.

5.) Devil or Angel. The “Good vs Evil” fight is best left in 2013, as there are so many better attributes to dress as! Try going outside the box by dressing as Love, Envy, Guilt or any other underrated characteristic.

Rebecca Sliwak is the current Editor-In-Chief for Her Campus at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia. She is studying Communications and Marketing as a senior, is a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, studied abroad in Madrid, and has been on the Her Campus SJU team since sophomore year.