4 Things to Keep in Mind in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

It’s 2017 and we have officially entered into a new semester. We’ve all said it before, “New Year New Me” but how many of us ACTUALLY follow that? There are plenty of ways to change your mindset by remembering certain things. Here are a few that might help:

1.Stop comparing yourself

We are in the generation of social media so seeing what everybody is doing and what they’re wearing and how they’re acting is almost impossible to avoid. It’s easy for me to just say, “stop doing it” but it’s easier said than done. One tip is to really cut down on social media time. The best way to avoid doing this is to not use it right when you wake up or right when you go to bed. The reason for this is because you are beginning your day worried about everybody else and ending it that way as well. By doing this, it makes it easier to compare yourself with the people around you whether it be looks or actions. It’s not healthy. The less you use it the less you’ll be inclined to care about anybody but yourself.

2. Go out of your way more

You never really know how much a simple “hello” or a smile can change somebody’s day. Everybody has bad days and could use a simple pick me up. Be that person. Often times we fail to realize that the nicer we are to others the more it radiates back to us. Changing the way you treat the people around you will eventually change your outlook on life.

3. Everybody can make it to the finish line

You are not the only person who wants to succeed. If you hear good news about a friend or a classmate, recognize it. You’ll have your moment and you’ll want someone to recognize your hard work and dedication whether it be getting a good grade or landing an internship. Never be jealous of another person’s triumphs.

4. Some people will never change

It’s very frustrating when you want somebody to be the ideal friend. However, some people will always be the way they are just like you have traits about you that might never change. Stop forcing people to be your ideal person and take them for who they are. If you find yourself becoming frustrated with the way someone acts, a little distance won’t hurt. You are never obligated to constantly hang around people who make you unhappy.

There are plenty of things to keep in mind when trying to change your mindset. Make 2017 your year to begin progress and trust me, you’ll find a difference within your own life.

HCXO,

Hanna