The 10 Stages of RiverPalooza

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Stage 1: Outfit Prep

It’s 24 hours before SJU’s favorite unofficial holiday and you have NOTHING to wear. You have to decide to make the trip to KOP, Suburban Square, or dig through your roommates’ closets. Once you have the outfit approvals from your friends, you can finally breathe; the hardest part of Palooza is over.

Stage 2: “Night In”

Since the next day is basically a marathon, you and your squad want to make sure you are well-rested for tomorrow’s festivities. You either rent a movie or go get a great dinner. You’re going to need all the energy tomorrow.

Stage 3: Christmas Morning

One of your roommates is already up at 9am blasting music and making breakfast. You hop out of bed and immediately check the humidity to see if you should straighten or curl your hair. You get ready in half the time it usually takes you to get ready because you are just THAT excited.

Stage 4: BRUNCH

Breakfast (brunch) is the most important meal of the day. Weather you and your friends are sipping on mimosas at Winnie’s or devouring bagels and bacon at your crib; you’re making sure to fill up before the big event.

Stage 5: Pregame

You and your girls house head over to another house to (obviously) take pictures in your perfect outfits and reminisce on last year’s Palooza’s antics. You play games, laugh, and almost forget that the doors are about to open.

Stage 6: The Line

You run (sprint) to Mad River and feel like all the wind has been taken out of you when you see how long the line is. But wait, you see your guy friends towards the middle of line, so you slide in with them and thank them for leaving the pregame at a reasonable time.

Stage 7: PALOOZA

You’re through the line, your belly is full, and you are wearing an insta-worthy outfit; let the fun begin. You grab a drink and begin to dance the day (and night!) away. The band is playing all your favorite songs; and you can’t help but to sing along.

Stage 8: Pizza

It’s 6pm and you are STARVING. You can’t decide between Mike’s and DeSandro’s so you get a slice from each pizza place. The pizza tastes like the best pizza you have ever had.

Stage 9: Bed

You get home and your shoes are covered in something black, and your bed looks like the most inviting it has ever looked. You pull on your favorite sweatshirt and cuddle into your bed and PASS OUT.

Stage 10: Morning After

You went to bed decently early, and you are thanking yourself. All your roommates are already up trying to decide which picture to Instagram. You cry from laughing so hard at everyone’s Snapchat stories while you debate if you should get out of bed. Saturday was amazing and you thank the (Mad River) Gods that Palooza happens 3 times a year.

Hope to see you next time Hawks!

HCXO,

Katherine