Style > Fashion

Yoga Pants vs. Flare Leggings: A New Take on Previous Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Flare leggings or yoga pants? Are they the same clothing item but with different names? What do you call them? 

Flare leggings have been in fashion for a while, but for the past year, I’ve wondered how the name of these pants have become a fashion staple due to their portrayal as a “new” product in advertising.

I worked in retail, and when someone asked if the store carried “flare leggings,” I responded with, “Do you mean yoga pants?” Their reply was a short “yes.” In my perspective, those pants are essentially the same. 

As the saying goes, “Fashion goes in a circle.” In the 1970’s, flare pants were considered an essential in one’s wardrobe, but their popularity gradually faded. Recently, they’ve returned to fashion, but with a name twist; likely to keep this type of fashion intriguing. Additionally, Y2K fashion is currently trending, which is closely related to these “flare leggings.” The looser, bootcut, and low-rise fit are gaining interest and popularity. Currently “flare leggings” often feature a more V-styled, low-waistband with some styles offering a wider leg at the calf area; following the earlier fashion trends from the 1970s and 2000s.

Do you remember those high-demand yoga pants with sequined or glittery designs that read the famous “PINK” label on the back of their foldable waistbands? Yoga pants, particularly those by PINK, were highly popular a decade ago. However, their popularity gradually fell and everyone stopped wearing them. 

The fashion trend has boomeranged and now they’re called “flare leggings.” This name change of the same product causes me to believe producers are trying to revive an old item to catch consumer’s interest, ultimately, causing them to purchase the “new” product. Producers understand the kind of grip they previously had on many customers because yoga pants were once a hit, so they know how to re-attract those same customers and bring in new supporters.

Fads can be exciting, and we’re eager to have the latest pieces in our closets.

As I’m sure you’re aware, fashion is all about keeping people on their toes; pushing the boundaries of previous fashion trends; however, flare pants are far from pushing boundaries. 

The purpose of this conversation is to highlight that fashion trends can remain relevant and fresh by simply changing the names of the same or similar products to keep consumers hooked on the next greatest item. Producers can get a lot of people raving over “flare leggings: when, in retrospect, they are the same product from about a decade ago. If you’ve experienced at one point or another being obsessed with or on the hunt for “flare leggings,” then producers can dust their hands and say they’ve done their job because you bought into their trick! 

That being said, did this “flare leggings” gimmick work on you? Let us know on Instagram @HerCampusSJSU!

Hello! I began my own Training Startup, completed an internship as a Sports Performance Coach, and I am currently an All-Star Cheerleading Coach. I have always been a busy bee; involved Cross Country, Swimming, and all types of Cheerleading under the Sun; thus, it was only fitting to be majoring in Kinesiology! I enjoy connecting with people and recently discovered my hidden appreciation for Bachata dancing! Welcome!