This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Every October I put together a special list of songs that are somewhat spooky, somewhat sexy, all around seasonally fitting. This year is no different and here are my top picks of what you should add to your Spooktober playlist this season.

1. Unholy” by Sam Smith (ft. Kim Petras)

This song came out at the most perfect time. The background vocals of the church choir sound with the lingering vibes of forbidden relations. The song has a good beat to it, it’s easy to follow, and even easier to sing the chorus with your friends too.

“Unholy” started as a song clip released on TikTok by Sam Smith before the full song was released and that made the anticipation for the full song so much higher.

1. Super Freaky Girl” by Nicki Minaj

If you haven’t heard this song yet, you live under a rock. The only reason I haven’t gotten sick of it yet is that I spend maybe an hour a week on TikTok, but I love the song. It’s unapologetically and authentically a bad bitch song.

I’ve heard it played at a few parties and it’s definitely easy to dance to. I love Nicki Minaj because she won’t have songs for a while or they’re super low-key, and then she’ll suddenly come out with a banger that takes over the internet.

1. Demons” by Hayley Kiyoko

I saw Hayley Kiyoko open for Lauv a few weeks ago and ever since then I have become obsessed with her music. Out of her songs that I became obsessed with, “Demons” is probably the best. It reminds me of the classic Halloween-themed pop/rock songs that feel like they should be played while dancing in a graveyard. She has a couple of other songs that fit the seasonal vibe so definitely check out her discography if you like this song.

1. 1980s Horror Film II” by The Wallows

This song is a few years old, but it never fails to fill the season’s need for a slow spook song. It feels like a story and a conversation that you’re having with them. It’s entertaining and if you actually listen to the song you understand the humor underneath in the story.

It’s a favorite driving song of mine. You have to make sure to listen to the II version of the song. The regular version is good, but the II version is more upbeat and has more techno/synthesizer backtracks.

1. me and your ghost” by blackbear

Blackbear has a whole mix of emotions in his music. Mostly sad, which also fits into the spooky season vibe very well. “Me and your ghost” is a great sad song that’s upbeat and something you can vibe to even if you’re not sad.

It’s the classic blackbear song in that it has the singing but also has a rap. The song isn’t a classic sad love song, it’s more of a realization that you can’t avoid your ex after having been with them for a long time.

I hope you enjoyed my favorites to listen to this Spooktober. If you need more recommendations, check out this playlist!

What’s your favorite song this spooky season? Share with us at Her Campus at SJSU!

Anika is a second year at SJSU with a Major in International Business and a Minor in Advertising. She is the Vice President of the Marketing Association and is also a Peer Mentor at SJSU. She loves fashion and adventure and loves to write about both!