Clueless
Clueless
Paramount Pictures
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Each era/generation has its own version of the it girl. In honor of Women’s History Month,  let’s break down some of our favorite iconic it girls throughout the years. Their looks, fits, and wits were something that we all aspired to at one point or another. 

Cher from Clueless:

AEr8GuCSEOYiojdlWHWkiRpEjAcnqlv9ekoAOueNNUXiVqb8p KnKGhKlIRE5NN1gfcVwsBrICdz60pa7XhHkY5Vb9M1Wizuar8XUs7UnJTx5j7kqh hCQXUKgNEg5WAL0hb759Q

Picture credit: The List

Quirky, ditzy, with a shopping addiction paired with street smart charms, viewers can automatically picture Cher with her iconic plaid yellow skirt suit. Cher’s charismatic personality plus her enticing looks, instantly made heads turn. It was obvious that Cher was the queen bee, as people around her would seek her approval. Afterall, she really was the OG  material girl!

Elle from Legally Blonde:

lPU K gqJGZp0wASITUgJ7kAD37mlWaNN V2sfa49OXGpcGfFZa8n5O0O2fSBkm8mBo6yc1hHHXeZyWGOTtNyINumE6qSIy8q8WpLzcV i6SX3HQZVXg1hIIPU3Qs8sF6a5S28XQ

Picture credit: denofgeek

Elle is proof that you do not have to give up on your feminine side in order to be considered smart, hardworking, or serious. Her bubblegum pink wardrobe, big infectious smile, and the positivity she chose to spread, despite the negativity and discouragement around her, are qualities that made everyone realize that there is more than what meets the eye.

Serena Van Der Woodsen from Gossip Girl:
F8kDT8BC cfLvprg2hk5JLO9CcnOoBRr fm8zQtYpfhkTu2pWCIyUfuhs6z56viVKWwD7 AoqjDucLHBMcLEuY TmRU1NPEem187z48FNUh42IzfTPzhCyCpca7h5ht8A2r KqX3

Picture credit: Glamour

Blonde hair with loose wavy tresses, blue eyes, and legs for days, was the typical archetype for the it girl. Especially with the popularity of Gossip Girl, the “it girl” was seen as the life of the party, extroverted, the “dream girl” that every guy wanted, and somehow had everything going for her with her best friend by her side. However unhinged she was, her style, charisma, and good looks in a way offered a distraction from the true consequences of her behavior. 

Lara Jean from “To All the Boys I Loved”:
FGGDhpvXdX9GLkMxE6NB2gKigetEM QUPDaMhKgt600ZuBad4ThpXAH5kUnogfG8a2UBlBGW6QwjViQgPWsI8dXVPHR5c6UfQy05Q6k409SNpr1SJjQ MNcOYg6jTqd1 j7iCOH8

Picture credit: Allure

This it girl was a refreshing change from the one we had been accustomed to seeing since the early 2000s. Lara Jean was not the queen bee, the most popular girl, nor was she the center of attention in any social situation. However, Lara Jean’s introverted, calming nature, plus her cute vintage fits, floored Peter Kavinsky and viewers alike. 

Devi from “Never Have I Ever”:

EKhdzC K5KQwfgm2Db1q5mH l6717qGZhutm uJtyATFC VVunifA19AAA00sWmsQLNm j7FI3fSqZqa VWN9GXddk

Picture credit: Indian Express

Seeing Devi onscreen was a major stepping stone for South Asian representation on screen. Devi’s character showed us that having frizz, body hair, being clumsy, and sometimes saying the wrong things in a blur of a moment (as long as you make up for it), is something all of us will encounter at some point in our lives. Devi’s impulsive and unhinged moments paired with her vulnerable side, really made viewers vouch for her because these moments really resonated with us. 

Who is your favorite “It Girl”? Tell us by tagging us @HerCampusSJSU!

Hi! My name is Sraavya and I am a second year, majoring in Business Management and minoring in radio, television, and film. I am an interviewer and writer for Solucky (an e-commerce website and magazine that is bay area based, focused on fashion, lifestyle, and helping small creators). In my free time, I love thrifting, going on a Starbucks run, and I am an avid Netflix binger.