This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

As the weather gets colder and gloomier, and temperatures start dropping, it becomes incredibly easy to fall into a funk. It is second nature for many people to just throw on a sweatshirt and sweatpants as soon as it gets cold outside. Not feeling put together can cause a person to fall even deeper into seasonal depression. Many people forget to do the little things for themselves that can go such a long way for their mental health and well-being. Tomorrow morning, instead of throwing on what you usually do, stand in front of your closet for a few minutes and put together an outfit. I promise you will be in a better headspace for the rest of the day.

The number one thing to remember when putting together an outfit for colder weather is to layer. Layering ensures that you’re comfortable and warm. It also adds fun dimensions to your outfit. A cute turtleneck or mock neck in neutral or bright colors is a necessity. You can pair a neutral-colored turtleneck with a colorful zip-up, a button-up shacket, and many other textured or simple jackets. Another way to layer in a stylish way is to wear your t-shirts or tank tops over your warmer tops. It looks best with a neutral color long sleeve or turtleneck. Layering makes for a comfortable and unique outfit. 

Another staple for fall fashion are cute fall shoes. Making sure you have shoes that will be comfortable for fall weather, but also goes with your fall clothes is a must. I am a firm believer that everyone should own a pair of nice boots in a neutral color. lack doc martens are classic boots that go with any outfit. You can also consider adding a platform neutral boot to your wardrobe to spice things up. If boots are not your preferred style, some other awesome fall shoes are basic converse or a pair of black or white loafers. A pair of platform converse in brown or forest green have been really popular in the past and still seem to be a cult favorite for this fall. . Loafers are also an amazing pair of shoes to wear with almost any fall outfit. They can turn a basic outfit into a crisp, classy one. Almost any shoe store or company has loafers at affordable prices. 

One last important key thing to have is a variety of pants. This would not be including sweatpants or basic jeans. Some great pant options are  dickies in any color, corduroy pants, slacks, flare yoga pants, overalls, and so much more. Dickies are comfortable, great for warm weather, and go well with almost anything. There are an endless variety of colors to choose from as well. Corduroy pants can add texture to any outfit. It’s good to have them in a variety of colors to pair with basic tops, sweaters, and jackets. Overalls are great to have to throw over any top to spice your outfit up. The best colors to wear are deeper and darker tones such as rust orange, forest green, dark brown, maroon, deep red, and dark purple. 

Waking up in the morning, and taking the time to take care of yourself and put yourself together can go a long way. Doing this regularly can better your everyday mental state. Even if you think you do not have the money to have a better style, you can always work with what you have if you get creative. It is also always a good idea to get your clothes from thrift stores or second-hand for ethical and monetary purposes. Make sure to get in the fall spirit this season by dressing the part!

Tell us what you are wearing this fall by tagging us @HerCampusSJSU!

Hi I'm Ava and I'm a second year at San Jose state! I am majoring in kinesiology hoping to get into the medical field. I am from pleasant hill, California and I am 19 years old. I am passionate about reading and writing. I also love all things related to photography.