camera event live settings 66134?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
camera event live settings 66134?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Tim Burton: The Unconventional Filmmaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Timothy William Burton, famously known as Tim Burton, is a prominent public figure who set his mark on the filmmaking industry in the ‘80s. Burton is known for films such as “Beetlejuice” (1988), “Edward Scissorhands” (1990), “The Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993), and many more classics. 

Burton’s interest in filmmaking stemmed from a young age; he attended the California Institute of Arts in 1975 as an animation major at 17. Later in his life, he was employed by Disney Productions as an animator. While at Disney, Burton produced short films “Vincent” (1982), “Hansel and Gretel” (1983), and  “Frankenweenie” (1984). 

Burton had a breakthrough in 1988 with the bizarre horror film Beetlejuice. This movie solidified him as an unconventional filmmaker, conspicuous for his original, quirky style. 

Though I believe all of Burton’s films are cult classics, there are hidden gems that are not talked about as often. 

“Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”

The villainous Judge Turpin extradites the London barber, Benjamin Barker, to Australia for a crime he did not commit because he is infatuated with Barker’s beautiful wife.

Returning after 15 years in the guise of Sweeny Todd, the man swears vengeance, slashing unfortunate customers with his razor, then delivering the bodies to Ms. Lovett, who uses them in her meat-pie store. Though many succumb to his blade, Sweeny Todd will not be content until Turpin’s throat is cut. 

The 2007 slash musical embodies the themes of German Expressionism, a distinct art style that conceptualizes distorted, unnerving imagery to depict the dread felt by an entire community.

The film’s urban gothic sceneries are elements of German Expressionism. The incorporation of harsh shadows and angular shapes to portray lunacy and social exile is another example of this artistic concept. 

What makes “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” so critically acclaimed is that its heroes, or anti-heroes, are brutal and merciless, its villains are vile and deplorable, and they all live in a world where empathy and humanity are virtually unheard. The acting is so outstanding that it draws us into the sordid tale and even encompasses black comedy. 

“Ed Wood”

Director Ed Wood is an outcast in Hollywood due to his eccentric habits and mystifyingly odd movies. Nevertheless, he brings his grandiose visions to reality on screen thanks to the assistance of the formerly famous Bela Lugosi and a loyal cast and crew of show-business misfits who believe in Ed’s vision.

Despite their lack of critical and commercial success, Ed and his friends make several oddly endearing movies on a minimal budget. 

The film is so striking because “Ed Wood” is a biographical film. Edward Davis Wood Jr. was an infamous filmmaker and actor. After decades of futile attempts to make it big in Hollywood, he succumbed to alcohol and passed away in abject poverty at age 54.  

Before today’s times, the 1994 movie was not well-received; it only garnered $13.8 million against an $18 million budget. However, over the years, “Ed Wood” is now considered a cult classic among movie fans. 

“Sleepy Hollow”

Police constable Ichabod Crane is deployed to Sleepy Hollow to investigate the beheading of three individuals, with the Headless Horsemen, a fabled ghost, being the perpetrator.

The 1999 film is an adaption of Washington Irving’s gothic fiction, “The Legend of the Sleepy Hollow”. With his plot twists, Burton retells the horrifying tale, creating a sinister, mystery horror film. 

Burton approaches the identity of the Headless Horsemen in a manner reminiscent of a Sherlock Holmes story, with logical Crane arriving from a big city filled to the brim with doubt. 

Gradually, he begins to believe the tales about the Horsemen. However, Crane’s commitment to science and logic keeps him on course sifting through the chaos in search of the underlying political intrigue.

Since the Horsemen acts as a frightening but not very cognitively complex antagonist, the film’s central theme of the man’s brutality to fellow man makes it all the more compelling. 

While the black and white photography of the aforementioned films “Sweeney Todd: The Barber of Fleet Street” and “Ed Wood” is emotive, Burton’s utilization of color in Sleepy Hollow portrays atmospheric dreariness, creating an eerie tone. The crimson red against the dinginess of the rest of the film brilliantly evokes powerful emotions from the viewer. 

“Dark Shadows”

Barnabas Collins, a rich and influential man, presided over Collinsport in the 18th century. However, he brings about his downfall by breaking the heart of the witch, Angelique. Barnabas is transformed into a vampire and buried alive, his entire lineage cursed for eternity. 

Two centuries later, Barnabas emerges from his coffin and discovers a radically new Collinsport in 1972. The remnants of his family have not fared, and his once stately manor has fallen into disrepair. Now, Barnabas seeks to restore the Collins name to high status and lift the curse. Of course, he will have to get through Angelique first. 

The 2012 film was modeled off the late ‘60s gothic soap opera that goes by the same name. In it, the televised show features the Collins family and their continuous counters with supernatural events. 

Burton’s “Dark Shadows” is a perfect mix of old-fashioned humor and horror. This film shows many Burtonsque elements, including gothic sceneries and sympathetic supernatural creatures as the movie’s protagonist. 

Mars Attacks!

Humanity is wary as their new alien visitors surround the world’s biggest cities with a fleet of Martian spaceships. The aliens, however, insist that they “come in peace.” 

Science Professor Donald Kessler reassures U.S. President James Dale that the aliens are on a peaceful mission. However, military officers demand nuclear pushback when a friendly exchange destroys the U.S. Congress. 

“Mars Attacks!” follows a different approach than the rest of Burton’s movies. This sci-fi comedy is a spoof and homage to ‘50s low-budget B-movies involving aliens. Moreover, we can see a similarity to Kubrick’s Dr. Strangelove in the presence of the characters who desire to send the aliens directly to hell. 

Furthermore, the 1996 film was influenced by a collection of early ‘60s Topps trading cards called “Mars Attacks.” Wally Wood and Norman Saunders created the cards; they depict futuristic battle scenes, human killing techniques, and invasions on planet Earth. 

What are your favorite Tim Burton movies? Let us know at @HerCampusSJSU.

Hey everyone! I'm Annabella, a second-year majoring in English - Creative Writing. My favorite types of articles to write are pop culture/entertainment and advice columns. Some of my favorite pieces are "Exploring My Favorite Female-Written Memoirs," "Tim Burton: The Unconventional Filmmaker," and "Unpacking The Misrepresentation of the Latinx Community in Films."