This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

The conversation of love languages has drastically taken over several social media platforms, causing people to assess what theirs are. The curiosity surrounding love languages continues to circulate as many find it detrimental to know when it comes to dating. 

The five love languages are: Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Receiving Gifts, Quality Time, and Physical Touch. All of which are meaningful to individuals in different ways.

For those that are interested in learning more about each language, I recommend reading “The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts” written by Gary Chapman. It is an excellent read for those trying to familiarize themselves with the love languages and to help spark some self-reflection!

For those who want to enlighten themselves, even more, there is an entire series catered to expressing love languages in different relationships outside of romantic ones.

A couple of weeks ago, I took the “5 Love Languages” quiz and discovered my most vital love languages are words of affirmation and acts of service. 

I then suggested this quiz to my boyfriend, as we were having problems with how to connect on a deeper level.

The quiz results revealed that his love languages are quality time and acts of service. Our percentages were strikingly different for the other love language categories, which confirmed our theory of us not being able to level with each other in this aspect of our relationship.

Reflecting was a crucial part of processing each other’s love languages, the goal was to gauge a deeper understanding of what we were looking for when expressing our preferred love languages.

The challenge people in relationships endure, including my own,  is often seeking for their significant other to be able to express their love languages easily. 

Learning love languages is highly complex and varies from person to person. 

It comes with time and patience, as you continuously learn about your needs and your significant other’s.  Taking note of what things (even the little things) brighten up your lover’s day is essential. 

Communication is essential and non-negotiable when it comes to relationships and their success. If there is an issue, expressing it to your partner will make a whole lot of a difference. 

In addition to communicating problems in your partnership, being able to cater to your partner’s love language is critical. Incorporating the two will help improve the longevity and health of your relationship!

What are your top two love languages? We would love to know! Tag us @HerCampusSJSU

Hello Everyone! I am excited to join the writer's team at SJSU. My goal is to speak on topics ranging from mental health, self-discovery, and my journey as a college student! I am excited to explore more with the HER Campus community. Feel free to send any article ideas via Instagram @Kaela.Mae An interesting thing about myself is I was admitted into the SJSU chapter in Fall'22 as a writer. I have always had a great interest in creative writing in which I found this as the perfect opportunity to finally be self-expressive and vulnerable.