San Jose Opportunities to Give Back to Your Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Happy Holidays, San Jose State!

The holiday season is often associated with a time for giving back. Amidst the busy student life, as we all approach finals season and prepare to either return home or spend time with family, San Jose offers many opportunities for students to give back to their community.

The season of giving is not only a time for festive celebrations; it’s a chance to spread joy and make a positive impact on the lives of those around us. 

If you’re searching for volunteer opportunities to commit yourself to this holiday season, SJSU and the San Jose community offer several options!

Are you interested in gaining hands-on experience with harvesting? Look no further than the SJSU Campus Community Garden! 

This student-led initiative is dedicated to fostering sustainability and community engagement. The Campus Garden not only offers students the chance to delve into the principles of sustainable organic gardening but also provides valuable service learning hours. 

Conveniently located just across from the Dining Commons at SJSU, this garden serves as a vibrant hub for those eager to contribute to a greener and more connected community. 

For more information on volunteer opportunities, visit its main website and learn more about how you can become a part of this unique experience at our campus.

Opportunities with the Spartan Food Pantry

The Spartan Food Pantry stands as a support system for SJSU students facing food insecurity. The Pantry offers a comprehensive, walk-in food assistance program. 

The pantry runs on the dedication of volunteers, and anyone from SJSU students and affiliates to community members is welcome to contribute their time. The Pantry also collaborated with the Second Harvest of Silicon Valley. Together, they work tirelessly to eliminate food insecurity on campus and ensure that no student has to face hunger alone.

To volunteer with either group, visit the Spartan Food Pantry website!

“I like working with animals; do you have anything for me?”

If you have a passion for working with animals, Mini Cat Town welcomes you with open arms! 

Volunteers play a crucial role in the vibrant life of Mini Cat Town, contributing to the day-to-day care of kittens on adoption floors and engaging with guests and potential adopters. Beyond the shelter, volunteers also actively participate in fundraisers and off-site adoption events, creating a positive impact in various communities. 

Volunteering opportunities are available at multiple locations, including San Jose, CA (Eastridge Shopping Center), Pleasanton, CA (Stoneridge Shopping Center), Santa Rosa, CA (Santa Rosa Plaza), and Milpitas, CA (Great Mall). To learn more, visit their main website

Are there places you’re interested in? Let us know at @HerCampusSJSU!

Hello! My name is Sabrina and I am a senior at San Jose State University. I'm a pre-law student majoring in political science with a minor in economics.