This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

As summer 2024 rolls around, many people are creating lists of what they would like to do this season. For some, they like to chill and relax at home with no stress. For others, they like to take this time to go on adventures and travel the world. 

If you’re one of the latter seeking tranquil beaches, cultural immersion, and adrenaline-pumping adventures, here is a list of the top summer getaway destinations. 

1. Santorini, Greece

Santorini, with its iconic whitewashed buildings perched atop dramatic cliffs overlooking the Aegean Sea, promises a picturesque escape. You can soak up the Mediterranean sun on pristine beaches, wander through charming villages adorned with blue-domed churches, and indulge in delicious Greek cuisine.

Don’t miss the opportunity to witness the breathtaking sunset in Oia, a moment that will stay with you long after you’ve left this enchanting island.

2. Kyoto, Japan

Kyoto, Japan’s ancient capital, is full of rich culture. From serene bamboo groves to stunning temples and traditional tea houses, Kyoto is a treasure trove of historic wonders. 

You can explore the iconic Arashiyama bamboo forest, marvel at the golden splendor of Kinkaku-ji (the Golden Pavilion), and experience the tranquility of a traditional Japanese tea ceremony. 

With its blend of old-world charm and modern sophistication, Kyoto offers a captivating summer retreat. This is the city I’m going to this summer and I am insanely excited.  

3. Reykjavik, Iceland

For those craving adventure and natural beauty, Reykjavik, Iceland’s capital city, is the perfect destination. Reykjavik, surrounded by mountainous landscapes of glaciers, waterfalls, and geothermal hot springs, is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise. 

Travelers can embark on thrilling glacier hikes, soak in the healing waters of the Blue Lagoon, and chase the mesmerizing Northern Lights dancing across the Arctic sky. With its surreal landscapes and boundless opportunities for exploration, Iceland is a must-visit destination.

4. Cape Town, South Africa

Cape Town, South Africa’s coastal gem, has a vibrant culture and stunning landscape. Nestled between the iconic Table Mountain and the sparkling waters of the Atlantic Ocean, Cape Town offers a diverse array of experiences. 

Visitors can hike to the summit of Table Mountain for panoramic views, explore the colorful neighborhoods of Bo-Kaap and Woodstock, and embark on a thrilling safari in nearby Kruger National Park. With its blend of urban sophistication and natural beauty, Cape Town is sure to captivate you. 

5. Queenstown, New Zealand

Known as the adventure capital of the world, Queenstown, New Zealand, is a paradise for thrill-seekers and nature lovers alike. Surrounded by majestic mountains and pristine lakes, Queenstown offers an abundance of outdoor activities. 

From bungee jumping and skydiving to scenic hikes and jet boating, there’s no shortage of adrenaline-pumping adventures to be had. Whether you’re seeking excitement or relaxation, Queenstown’s stunning scenery and vibrant atmosphere make it an ideal summer destination.

These five destinations offer a diverse range of experiences for travelers seeking unforgettable summer adventures in 2024. Traveling can be a form of finding yourself, so we hope you can have the opportunity to do so. 

Whether you’re drawn to the sun-drenched beaches of Santorini, the ancient charm of Kyoto, or the wild beauty of Reykjavik, there’s no shortage of excitement and discovery awaiting you in these captivating destinations. 

Are you traveling to any of these cities this summer 2024? Let us know at @HerCampusSJSU

Hey guys! My name is Sabira Abdolcader and I am a senior editor for the SJSU chapter of Hercampus. I have been apart of Hercampus for a semester now and I am very excited to continue my journey with the writers team. Some topics that I love to write about are fashion, music, and entertainment.