Obey Me: Nightbringer Game Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

The long-awaited sequel to “Obey Me! One Master to Rule Them All!” has been released. First teased in an opening trailer at the 2023 Obey Me! Meet and Greet livestream, “Obey Me! Nightbringer” was released on April 11th.

For those who don’t know, in the original game “Obey Me! One Master to Rule Them All”, you play as an exchange student at a school for demons. There are seven demon brothers, each  avatar for one of the seven deadly sins, waiting for your arrival, including several other dateable characters.

“Obey Me! Nightbringer” is more about their backstory before meeting the main character.

For context, the seven demon brothers fell from the Celestial Realm during a war of angels vs. demons. “Obey Me! Nightbringer” is set when the brothers first fall to Devildom, turning from angels to demons. 

The story kicks off right where the first game ends, with the main character traveling through time to help the brothers adjust to their new lifestyle.

Instead of the “dance battles” in the original game, it is more of a rhythm game with the original songs sung by the voice actors. There are also character cards used to complete the level.

Like the original game, each card has a mini-story that can be unlocked with a key. They give insight into the average day of the group without conflicting with the main plot. Various text messages and phone calls from each love interest also occur the higher your romance levels are. 

I’ve always enjoyed learning about lore, so I was very excited to play the game, and I wasn’t disappointed. Considering how attached I am to these characters I am also looking for more content about them.

The original game had a great story, but a lot still needed to be known. I’m happy the game developers are giving us more backstory.

The only thing I found annoying was having to level up character cards. It takes a lot of materials and in-game currency to increase the levels, and is very tedious. You might have to use special items to pass the level or spend money on the game. 

As someone who is very impatient, I usually just use items to progress through the game quicker. I was hoping that this was something that would be improved, but I suppose some things aren’t meant to be changed. 

I also felt sad when I learned that the first game won’t continue the story, according to a Reddit AMA with the developers. The developers have mentioned that events will continue and cross over with the second game, but the storyline will continue in Nightbringer. It makes fans wonder if the first game will end up being ignored in favor of the second game.

As the game is still new, new lessons are added. I look forward to learning more about the story and playing the game. There is a lot of comedy, romance, and angst heading this way.

Do you like otome games? Let us know at @HerCampusSJSU.

I am a Journalism major at SJSU. I fell in love with it and I hope to travel the world to learn new things and meet new people. I hope one day to have my works published for the world to see. In my free time, I like listening to music while I scroll aimlessly through social media or talking to my friends.