This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

The election ends on November 8, and whether you are a first-time voter or more well-experienced, knowing what you will need and where to go is essential to participating in the democratic process.

Make sure you are registered to vote.

To register to vote, you will need to bring an acceptable form of identification that contains your name, date of birth, last four digits of your social security number, and ID number. If the address on your ID does not match your voter registration, remember to bring proof of residence that lists your address, such as a recent utility bill or bank statement. 

To register to vote in California, you must be:

• A United States citizen
  • A resident of California (and of the county you are voting in)
  • At least 18 years old by Election Day
  • Not currently serving a state or federal prison term for the conviction of a felony
  • Not currently found mentally incompetent to vote by a court

The deadline to register to vote was October 24, 2022. However, you still have a chance of voting in the general election! Register online and request your ballot in person by bringing your receipt or voter registration to a voting location or county elections office. You can also go directly to a vote center to get registered in-person.

Mentally prepare yourself.

Large crowds and waiting in long lines can be anxiety-inducing and take the fun out of voting altogether. However, this can be avoided through preparation. Lines are bound to get longer once classes end and the workday is over, avoid this by heading to the polls early. Avoid uncomfortable clothing and dehydration by bringing water and layering up. Going with friends, taking snacks, or bringing items that will keep you busy (like homework or a good book) are great ways to keep your mind occupied throughout the long wait. 

Get well-informed about what’s on the ballot.

For information on what’s on the ballot, you can enter your information on the Santa Clara County website. Students at SJSU can also utilize SJSU Votes! for additional information on the election and engagement opportunities moving forward.

Get your voice heard!

Below are a few locations near campus that offer same-day voter registration, but you can enter your information and find which locations best meet your needs here.

• SJSU Event Center in room 1035
  • 290 S 7th St, San Jose, CA 95112
  • African American Community Service Agency
  • 304 N 6th St, San Jose, CA 95112
  • Lowell Elementary School
  • 625 S 7th St, San Jose, CA 95112
  • Holy Cross Parish
  • 580 Jackson St, San Jose, CA 95112
  • Registrar of Voters
  • 1555 Berger Dr, San Jose, CA 95112

Stay in touch by following @HerCampusSJSU on Instagram!

Third year English student at San Jose State University