This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

It’s hard to believe Coachella was only a few weeks ago! I remember looking forward to tuning in to the live stream at the end of the school week and watching performances with my closest friends. Some even had the opportunity to attend the festival and enjoy one of the most prominent music festivals in Southern California. 

This year’s headliners included Bad Bunny, BLACKPINK— and of course —  the man of the hour, Frank Ocean. I, along with many others, looked forward to seeing Frank Ocean’s grand return to the stage. It had been 6 years since his last album release, leaving many people to speculate when he would come out with new music. Some people theorized that he would debut a new track or announce the release of future projects at Coachella’s main stage.

But Sunday came and went, leaving fans, critics, and the general public wondering, what went wrong? 

Coachella Day 3, Weekend 1 Overview

Discourse started once reports were made about the cancellation of Frank Ocean’s YouTube live stream. Once news spread about the possible cancellation, some of Frank Ocean’s fans voiced dissatisfaction. At first, people were pointing fingers at Coachella’s organizers but soon malice turned towards Frank Ocean himself since he was revealed to be the deciding factor in the cancellation.

There was an initial uproar, but fans at home began accommodating and finding new ways to catch his performance despite the live stream fiasco. The dedication of these individuals was truly astounding.

Coachella-goers aided and provided live streams for the viewers at home, regardless of poor cell service. Some of these individuals had been camping out at the main stage since doors opened early that morning.

Coachella day 3 went on as usual and there were no further reports surrounding Frank Ocean’s performance.  As his performance grew closer and closer sloted arrival, there seem to be no movement on the main stage. It is not uncommon to see performers arrive late to their time slots, so initially fans were not as concerned. 

There was a bit of apprehension considering the livestream was canceled last minute, but fans patiently waited for Frank Ocean to arrive. The more time passed, the more antsy the crowd got. Performers begin walking on the stage as the crew started to set up the stage. Finally, following an hour’s wait time, Frank Ocean appeared.

Discussion 

At the start of the day, even in the weeks before the festival, there was great excitement for his performance. Unfortunately, that energy was not maintained as Frank Ocean went through his set. 

Coachella goers reported having a limited view of Frank Ocean and when seen it appeared he was not singing his songs, rather he was letting the voiceovers play out as he vibed on stage. Fans started to leave once realizing this, clearly disappointed over the quality of his performance. 

In an intimate moment with his fans, Frank Ocean expressed deep sadness over the loss of his brother, who was the main motivator for his commitment as a headliner. They stated how it was hard for him to imagine attending a festival like Coachella without having his brother by his side. Once revealing this fans quickly began defending his Coachella performance. 

Here is where the conversation on how fans should treat and expect things from their artists began.  Creating a work of art, whether on a canvas or through music and smash production, takes a long time.

Here is where sentiments on being understanding and non-demanding of these artists come to play.

In reviewing the situation,  my personal opinion is that artists should be cared for by their fan base. This is because an artist is vulnerable when sharing a piece of work. As consumers, we should be respectful when listening to their music. However, there is a certain standard that should be applied to artists especially when consumers take time, effort, and resources to support their favorite musicians.

Tickets for Coachella are extremely demanding and expensive. At the cost of a single ticket, there is a demand for high-quality content. An artist’s engagement with their fan base should be a two-way street. Frank Ocean’s Coachella performance was a betrayal of trust. 

Let us know your thoughts on Frankchella @HerCampusSJSU!

Hello fellow HC members! My name is Samantha (Sammy or Sam is fine), and I am a fourth-year, Recreational Therapy Major. I love reading, anime, and news articles covering current events.