david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My 5 Favorite Halloween Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

It’s the spookiest time of the year! Every year, my family and I like to carry out certain traditions around Halloween. Now that I’m in college, nothing is stopping me from carrying out my favorite activities. Here’s a list of my essential traditions that everyone should definitely get behind.

1. Carving pumpkins. This is a classic Halloween tradition for many people. I try to carve out the most intricate design I can think of (shameless plug) and try to one-up myself every year. The only part I hate is scooping out the pumpkin guts. Yuck. 
  2. Dressing up. I may be 18, but I’m still going to continue to dress up until I’m old and wrinkled. Halloween is about expressing yourself, and if dressing up as a ketchup bottle when you’re 15 is “expressing yourself”, then I’m doing something right (Yes. I dressed up as a ketchup bottle).
  3. Decorating. Currently, my roommate and I are in the midst of decking out our dorm room. We have an abundance of cobwebs, caution tape, and eerie lights stranded around and outside of our room, and I love just being in such a fun and spooky atmosphere.
  4. Binging out on Halloween candy. I miss being a kid and having the pleasure of sorting my candy after trick-or-treating. Personally, I am not the biggest fan of candy corn, but a few of my personal favorites include Reese’s pumpkins, Jelly Bellies, and vanilla flavored Tootsie Rolls. My mom used to help me out by eating the candy I didn’t like (aka peanut M&M’s, gross).
  5. Watching scary movies. The list of all of the movies I watch could go on forever. Besides the hair-raising films, we also have staple childhood movies, like Halloweentown, Twitches, and The Haunted Mansion, and the classics like The Nightmare Before Christmas and E.T. If you want a complete and concise list of movies to watch this season, check out Freeform’s 31 Nights of Halloween

If you have any other traditions that you like to follow during Halloween, be sure to tweet us @HerCampusSJSU!

Political Science major at San Jose State University.
Public relations major with a minor in photography at San Jose State University.