This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Our favorite Anti-Hero is back at it again. 

On October 21, Taylor Swift met us at midnight for the release of her tenth studio album “Midnights.” This album marks her first brand new body of work since we got “Folklore” and “Evermore” in 2020. 

Being the chaotic genius she is, Swift dropped the album with 13 tracks at midnight on the 21st. Promptly after, she released the deluxe “3 am version” three hours later. The completed album has 20 songs on it. 

Swift has monopolized music billboards within just one week of her release, and we honestly expected nothing less. Looking at just Billboard Music Charts, she has made “chart history.” She now holds all top ten songs on Billboard’s Hot 100. Furthermore, all 20 of her newly released songs have charted. 

Broken records aside, it’s important to note that this album, like the rest of her discography, is genius. In the context of her career, “Midnights” is Taylor Swift’s most nostalgic album yet. 

She reached down and pulled from her old sound, and yet  managed to deliver a no-skip album. Although familiar, each song unlocks something new. It is a relaunch back into the world of pop, where we welcome her with open arms. After all, no one does it better than her. 

Prior to release, Swift disclosed the intimate details of her new record. She said that this album was inspired by staying up pondering on sleepless nights. She described the process of writing these songs to fall under five different things that kept her up at night:

1. Self-loathing
  2. Fantasizing about revenge
  3. Wondering what might have been
  4. Falling in love
  5. Falling apart

Swift has always had a way with words.  She can describe an experience and make anybody relate to it, whether they have been there or not. The ability to verbalize complex human emotions is a major skill, but to do so through evocative lyricism and addictive melodies is what makes her so widely popular. 

I have decided to offer up five of my personal favorite songs from “Midnights,” and categorize them each in one of her five inspirations. 

My favorite self-loathing track (or track in general) has to be track three- “Anti-hero.” Sometimes the best stories are the ones where you can openly admit to being the villain. We’ve all been there. 

None of us are strangers to a good revenge fantasy. Track eight, “Vigilante Shit,” is one of the greatest revenge songs written. This truth lies mostly in the pop-culture implications behind the lyric choices. The world went crazy trying to speculate who this song could be about, but regardless, it suits Swift perfectly. 

Wondering what might have been keeps us all up at night. For those of us who find ourselves consumed by regret now and then, stream track nineteen, “Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve.” No further explanation necessary on this one!

Taylor Swift is the artist who could make you feel like you’re madly in love, whether you’ve been there or not. Track ten, “Labyrinth,” highlights a very unique aspect of being in love. This song encompasses what it’s like to be caught off guard or taken by surprise by your own feelings towards another person. 

Since falling apart is routine you might as well have a good song in the background. Track five, “You’re On Your Own, Kid,” hits where it hurts. This is the kind of falling apart that comes after a lot of self-reflection. I believe this song to be a “letter to your past self” type of song. 

Of course, here are my honorary mentions: 

• “Maroon” (track two)
  • “Question…?” (track seven) 
  • “The Great War” (track fourteen)

Stream “Midnights” for a rollercoaster of emotions you didn’t know you needed. 

Let us know what track is your favorite off of “Midnights” @HerCampusSJSU!

A college student trying to expand my writing experiences :) Major: Electrical Engineering Instagram: @deena.sada