This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

The definition of a woman means something different to everyone. Womanhood cannot be associated only with femininity. It’s too diverse of a term to be umbrellaed under one view. 

Determination, resilience, and power are a few synonyms related to identifying as a woman. And unfortunately, underrepresentation is another term related to women. Whether that be in academia, the workforce, or politics, women are underrepresented. This is not because women are inferior, rather it is a result of a misogynistic system that has been displacing women for centuries. In honor of Women’s History Month, I’m focusing on one region where women have always held themselves up despite the ongoing wars. 

The Middle East has been subject to the world’s attention for many years due to the West’s involvement in the region for decades. That being said, gender inequality is a widespread issue that requires additional attention. The women of the Middle East are as exceptional as the women in the West. Women’s History Month is focused primarily on women’s contributions in the United States. However, let’s choose this month to educate ourselves on the role of women worldwide. 

The World’s First University.

hBL8RiMR80wET11duZ2jlRUjgkcQzKD1 upJfb6u6C 1Nngi2gGSznDma1dkbS8bGBrW3Z9JpxOBuvLslhOzxdxfmZKDu ANb07VgJrhH6cbEv1RcxHc0 FstrM4o1 S8IJUOfhs

The University of al-Qarawiyyin. Image from: https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2020/02/293650/al-qarawiyyin-university-in-fez-worlds-1st-institution-to-issue-medicine-degree

Fatima al-Fihri was born in 800 CE in Tunisia. Fatima used her family’s wealth to create what is now known to be one of the world’s first universities. Initially, the institute was founded as an Islamic school. Later on, it offered courses in the sciences, languages, and astrology. The university of al-Qarawiyyin is the first academic institute to offer degrees in specific subjects.

Fatima’s efforts provided an opportunity to advance learning in the Middle East and inspired later institutes in Europe. Today, the university is still running. Visitors can visit the university’s library to view Fatima’s diploma.

The Right to Drive

In June 2018, Saudi Arabian women were given the right to drive according to a June 24, 2019 New York Times article. I remember this news dominating headlines back in 2018. However, I didn’t know about the woman who kicked it off. In 2011, Manal Al-Sharif kicked off the #Women2Drive movement. Her work caused her to be imprisoned for a short while because of  “driving while female” according to a 2019 Asia Society article.

Despite being arrested, Manal continued her efforts and pushed for the lift on the ban on women drivers.

Creating International Discourse

aX7lQZ7GlHeUXd3kN9pToCKxGZTT9XQEBi2YwGM2MBE7NjfMXjGE7IECG0IWmdjQ2D14T89gW376BKZC3 8gadXtIJ5T6V4fB6NnnFGMKlNaIY peEt8emnSwADa5PaR j4rcBe

Image of Muna El-Kurd and her brother. Image from: https://time.com/collection-post/6096098/muna-mohammed-el-kurd/

This past summer, the world’s eyes were on Palestine and Israel. One of the most prominent figures in this conflict was Muna El-Kurd, a young Palestinian woman who used social media to provide the world with a window of what it’s like living in East Jerusalem. With the help of her brother, the two changed the rhetoric behind the conflict. Through social media, the two transformed the narrative around Palestinian resistance and awakening support for the Palestinian diaspora.

Know Her Name

The significance of Women’s History Month is to recognize the accomplishments of women throughout history. This month, take a moment to step back and educate oneself on the women who have shaped the world we live in. 

Want to share what you learned during Women’s History Month? Tell us by tagging us at @HerCampusSJSU!

Hello! My name is Sabrina and I am a senior at San Jose State University. I'm a pre-law student majoring in political science with a minor in economics.