K-pop Kings and Queens: My Favorite Royalty of the Music Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Korean pop, more prominently known as K-pop, is a musical genre originating from South Korea. The genre encompasses various musical styles, including ballads, electronic, hip-hop, and R&B. K-pop has taken the world by storm in recent years through its catchy melodies, elaborate music videos, and vivacious dance routines.

In this article, I will list my favorite K-pop groups and take you on a journey through my experience with K-pop and its profound influence on me. Grab your headphones and prepare to dive into the K-pop world with me!

GOT7

GOT7 is a boy group formed under the renowned label JYP Entertainment, marking their striking debut in 2014 with their extended play (EP) titled “Got It?.” Through the years, the group skyrocketed in popularity with songs such as “Just Right,”  “Hard Carry,” and “Lullaby.”

In January 2017, I discovered GOT7 through their Just Right dance practice. Initially, I was unsure about my feelings toward the foreign music; I was never a pop music fan, so enjoying Korean pop seemed unimaginable. 

However, I became enamored by the members’ comical personas and the songs’ cute beats; because of this, I decided to dive deeply into the GOT7 world. Through intense hours of research via youtube, I realized that I became an avid fan of GOT7, ultimately deciding that my bias (favorite member) is Bambam

In 2019, GOT7 hosted their third world tour, Keep Spinning, to promote their album “Spinning Top: Between Security & Insecurity.” Seeing the news, I made it a personal mission to save money to witness the boy group perform live. 

I was fortunate to be able to purchase tickets for their Los Angeles stop on July 6, 2019. With two of my closest friends, we drove to LA to share an unforgettable experience of watching GOT7 perform live. My bias, Bambam, even noticed us when we randomly screamed his name; he smiled and waved at us, and I was over the moon about it for a solid month. 

This group has significantly impacted my life; thanks to GOT7, I was introduced to the world of K-pop. Moreover, GOT7 has produced some of my all-time favorite K-pop songs, including “Lullaby,” “You Calling My Name,” and “NANANA.” Ultimately, GOT7 is my comfort group, and I am incredibly thankful to have discovered them. 

MAMAMOO

MAMAMOO is a girl group that debuted in 2014 with an EP titled “Hello” under RBW Entertainment. The group gradually gained recognition and a devoted fanbase from their humble beginnings, but it was not an easy journey. 

In the early stages, MAMAMOO faced the challenges of being under an unreputable company that lacked the resources and established reputation of a larger company. MAMAMOO’s breakthrough came in 2015 with their hit single “Um Oh Ah Yeh.” The song marked a turning point for the group, gaining popularity and chart success. 

Despite their success, MAMAMOO continued to face challenges and criticism. The members were often subjected to body shaming and criticized for deviating from conventional beauty standards. However, they bravely addressed these issues and used their platform to advocate for body positivity and self-acceptance, earning respect and admiration from fans worldwide.

Discovering the girl group in 2019, I immediately noticed that MAMAMOO is the embodiment of women’s empowerment. Their discography and interviews have aided me in learning to love myself for who I am on the inside and out. Some notable songs that have fostered a positive mindset include “Yes I Am,” “gogobebe,” and “HIP.”

I will take my belief to the grave when I say that MAMAMOO put on the best shows; their stage presence is impactful, and their vocals are immaculate. My favorite performances by them are their MAMA 2019 stage, Delilah cover, and JYP Party People stage

TXT

TOMORROW X TOGETHER, more famously known as TXT,  is a recent boy group under HYBE Corporation, debuting in 2019 with the EP “The Dream Chapter: STAR.” 

In an industry where noise music was becoming a dominant trend, TXT gave the K-pop world a refreshing break with cute pop songs that incorporated a magical concept. Songs that best implemented the magical concept are “Crown,” “9 and Three Quarters (Run Away),” and “Blue Hour.” 

During the quarantine era, when everyone had too much free time to spare, TXT’s youtube series “TO DO” was content I looked forward to watching every Monday. “TO DO” is a variety web series that features the members of TXT. The members compete in numerous games and challenges individually or in teams throughout the series. 

Aside from their web series, I am an avid fan of their discography, my favorite album being “The Dream Chapter: ETERNITY.” My top three favorite songs from the alum are “Fairy of Shampoo,” “Drama,” and “Eternally.” 

Part of my fascination with the group stems from the idea that they create Gen Z music. TXT’s music is often considered Gen Z music because it resonates with the interests, experiences, and cultural preferences of Generation Z, which refers to individuals born between the late 1990s and early 2010s. 

On the subject of TXT, I cannot leave out that they recently released song of the year on January 26, 2023: “Sugar Rush Ride.” On the first listen, I was enamored with the funk-driven pop track. The upbeat guitar rhythms, anti-drop chorus, and high-energy choreography are all key factors that make “Sugar Rush Ride” absolute perfection. 

Ultimately, TXT is a bundle of joy that brings peace to my heart. I am filled with anticipation for what they will bring next to the table.  

What are some of your favorite K-pop groups? Share your love for them with us @HerCampusSJSU.

Hey everyone! I'm Annabella, a second-year majoring in English - Creative Writing. My favorite types of articles to write are pop culture/entertainment and advice columns. Some of my favorite pieces are "Exploring My Favorite Female-Written Memoirs," "Tim Burton: The Unconventional Filmmaker," and "Unpacking The Misrepresentation of the Latinx Community in Films."