Ideas for Making Seasons More Productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

It is the end of September, and the autumn season is officially in full swing. That also means the school year is too. It can make the fall season incredibly overwhelming and uneasy. 

However, autumn also symbolizes the season when the weather is cooling down and people begin to settle down after a long summer of fun and excitement. There is a lot to look forward to and explore just by having a season where you can re-energize and recharge yourself.   

Journaling All Along the Highway

You have most likely heard the phrase “Dear Diary” at some point or even written a personal letter to yourself to be read in the future with the header. What many people don’t realize is that this is one method for unwinding. 

A main component of journaling is having the space to reflect and get your thoughts out in a world that is filled with the chaos of school, news, and responsibilities.

Make a list of what has been going on in your daily life recently. Write about what has been occurring in life, whether that be accomplishments, improvements, or even little things, like the food you just had for lunch.

This does not have to be a daily habit; it should be a consistent one. I like to do mine on a weekly basis, preferably every two to three weeks. 

Keep it in a safe space, like your backpack, study desk, or even your bed, so that you can find it next time you write. 

Walking into Nature

Nature is one of those aspects of living that is both beloved and forgotten.  It is easy to forget about the beauty and simplicity that surrounds us. 

Take a hike, go to the beach, stargaze—anything  down the line that might help to be more efficient outside of your work or academic life. I like to put on lo-fi or meditation music to relax, so that I can calm my nerves.

And while you are at it, spend some time absorbing the sights and sounds that you see. Whether it is something small or large, being in a place to observe helps to take off a lot of stress that you may be carrying around.

Who likes a clean space?

Along with observing the beauty of the natural world, who doesn’t like to see their room be intricately neat? Even though having a clean room can feel like a chore, there is some level of satisfaction that comes with productive cleaning. 

Clear  the clutter on your desk, your bed, or your space. As a generally messy person, I make sure to try to keep a habit of maintaining a clean and efficient routine by being organized and cleaning up at the end of the week.

When all is said and done, the result of a cleaner space is a more productive and re-energized you.

Making Meaningful Connections

Whether you are an introvert or an extrovert, learning to make connections is another way to unwind. Our society is a place where connections often tend to feel undervalued or rubbed in your face.

Talk to a friend, meet someone new, and get to know them. Show interest in the person, feel free to ask simple questions, and let the other person have a turn to share. 

Believe it or not, as a college freshman, just learning one interesting thing—whether it is from a friend, a classmate, or even your acquaintances— has allowed me to better understand and connect with others on a deeper level.

Goodies, Goodies, Happy

We all love a nicely baked treat, don’t we? There are a lot of different recipes out there that can bring out the inner joy of just baking a simple cake or delicacy.

Whether you are good at baking or not, learning a new recipe can be quite a method to wind down. Look up some simple recipes online, observe, and do some yourself, if you prefer.

I tend to make simple recipes with just a few ingredients and simply let myself enjoy the process. Sometimes, I use others’ recipes and make my own from time to time. Whether that is the case with you, you should look to be fulfilled by the end result. 

Productive, Appreciative, and Awesome

In the end, having a way to be productive and maintain a lifestyle that allows you to pursue the small things in life can be rewarding. Even when work can get overwhelming, remember that productivity can get you anywhere for the seasons that will come.

What are some other ways you maintain productivity? Let us know @HerCampusSJSU.

Hajimemashite! My name is Esther and I am a first year student at San Jose State University majoring in Linguistics. Before I applied for Her Campus in Fall 2023, I had a background in writing with Courageous Communications, a tutoring program for K-12 students that promotes writing and public speaking skills. Since then, I have become passionate about writing as a hobby and a creative art. In my free time, I love to journal, hang out with friends, buy boba, and learn languages. I am also an anime fan and love to tell about my opinions about my favorite shows and movies.