How to Become a Well Informed Voter for the 2024 Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

It’s that time again — Election Day is on November 5 and the Primary Election is just around the corner. The primary election, also known as a caucus, is held in March in most states and allows voters to select candidates for the general election ballot. This includes presidential candidates, U.S. Senators, and state-wide propositions. 

Although this may not sound super important for some, participating in the primary election is a great way to get acclimated to potential candidates and exercise your right to vote. Casting your vote this year has the ability to impact major social issues, including women’s reproductive rights, gun control, and climate change prevention.   

If you’re excited to participate in the election but don’t know where to start, you’ve come to the right place. Keep reading to put your nerves at ease and become a well-informed voter this election season. 

Check Your Voter Registration Status (or register to vote!)

The first step to participating in the primary and general elections is to become a registered voter. Each state has its own rules about voter registration, so it’s important to become familiar with the necessary deadlines for registering and submitting your ballot. 

You can check your voter status and register at Can I Vote. This website also offers resources for finding a voting location nearest to you and other important information to know before you go.  

Not all states allow you to register on election day, so be sure to register by your state’s deadline in order to participate!

Find Your State’s Election Timeline

Next, you will need to know when your state is holding its primary election. Although many states hold this election on March 5, the date varies across the country.

The general election is on November 5 nationwide, so registering now means you won’t have to worry about it when election day rolls around. 

Learn More About the Candidates

While this may seem like the hardest part, the internet will be your best friend throughout the process. With a quick Google search, you’ll find endless resources for learning more about this year’s candidates. Be sure to look for unbiased, reputable sources during your search.

The first place to start is by reading more about each candidate and their stance on the social issues you care about most.

It is important to know whether your state’s primary is open or closed, since this determines who you are allowed to vote for. If your primary is open, you can vote for any candidate regardless of your party affiliation, but if your primary is closed, you can only vote for a candidate within your chosen party. Make sure to find out more about voting rules in your state ahead of the big day!

Once you’ve read about the candidates, dig deeper by visiting candidate websites and other media coverage of their campaigns. The internet has endless resources to help you through the process and prepare you to make well-informed decisions on your ballot. 

No matter how intimidating the election season may seem, you now have all the tools to make a vital impact in the 2024 election. You’ve got this!

How are you preparing to vote this year? Let us know, @HerCampusSJSU.

Hannah is a fourth-year student at San Jose State majoring in Public Relations with an emphasis in Journalism. Outside of class, she can be found reading cheesy romance novels, studying at local coffee shops, shopping at Target, or rewatching her favorite TV shows.