This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

If you’ve met me or passed by me on the street and campus, one of the things you would notice is the wired earphones ( yes, not Airpods but not the point) in my ears. I would be in my own bubble, listening to my music while I walk around minding my own business.

Looking back, I never really realized how much of an impact music made on my life. I hate silence, I like being loud. The quiet makes me uncomfortable, but at the same time, I also don’t like listening to random noise on the street.

The problem was fixed when I started going around listening to music. I think it’s funny that the oldest memory of me listening to music was in elementary school. I was having an angsty moment while listening to “Teardrops on my Guitar” by Taylor Swift. 

Younger me wouldn’t have cared much to listen to various artists and would rather stick to what she would know.  I’d learn soon enough that things would change in the near future.

Whenever I feel stressed about something, I know I can just go on Spotify and listen to my favorite artists to help me calm down. I could be really energetic and put on one of my more upbeat songs and sing and dance all day.

A lot of fond memories I have are because of music. I met one of my best friends in high school in freshman year when I dragged her into the rabbit hole that is K-Pop during English class. Becoming a fan of NCT in 2018 helped me make two great friends that I still talk to. Somewhere along the line, I joined a discord server filled with people that I would get close to quickly.

I’m sure a lot of people can agree that music influences a lot of a person’s identity. Take a look at all the musicians around the world, showing their talent and giving credit to other musicians they see as their role models. 

I have a vague memory of when I was younger, I saw the TV show Austin & Ally and was inspired to be a performer. I liked singing and thought it’d be nice to be like a singer, despite my stage fright.

While now that dream to be a star is off the table and I’m not a performer who sings and dances on big stages, I still like to have music in my life in the future. One of my main career and life goals is to be able to interview and meet all the artists that have made me happy. I want to let them know how much they and their music means to me.

I am a Journalism major at SJSU. I fell in love with it and I hope to travel the world to learn new things and meet new people. I hope one day to have my works published for the world to see. In my free time, I like listening to music while I scroll aimlessly through social media or talking to my friends.