How Chelsie Hill is Championing Diversity and Inclusion in the Influencing Industry for Disabled Women

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Through their steadfast determination and collaboration, women throughout history have paved the way for their community to gain equal rights and respect from society. In light of Women’s History Month this past March, I’d like to highlight a disabled female influencer who has inspired me through her social media content and advocacy for the disabled community. 

From my experiences as a disabled woman, I believe that championing the growth and success of disabled women is essential to achieving true intersectional feminism. Intersectional feminism is “a type of feminism focused on the fact that systems of oppression impact people differently based on their race, class, ability, sexuality, and other characteristics.” By recognizing that the patriarchy and societal expectations affect different communities of women differently, we’re able to learn from each other and use our combined strengths to fight against oppression.

Growing up, I didn’t see a lot of positive representation of disabled people online or in the media. Even when there was representation, it always had a negative connotation, or was portrayed as something to be ashamed of. This misrepresentation affected the way I viewed my disability and the image I had of myself. As a kid, I felt self-conscious about my disability and alienated at times because I would often get stares from other kids who didn’t understand my experiences. 

There is often a stigma that surrounds how people talk about disabilities; many people avoid talking about it openly because it could make someone feel uncomfortable or come off as impolite. However, I believe that discussing different kinds of disabilities, and creating a safe space where people can talk about their disabilities freely, is crucial to understanding the experiences of disabled people. 

Every day, women with disabilities challenge the stereotypes and social norms that are placed upon them. They achieve what others have said is impossible, and figure out a way to thrive in a world that places so many obstacles in front of them. By highlighting a disabled woman who continues to inspire me, I hope that you will give her a follow and champion her success alongside me this Women’s History Month.

As a mother, professional dancer, and the CEO of the Rollettes Experience, Chelsie Hill embodies what it means to be a girlboss. In 2012, she founded the Rollettes Experience to make friends and meet other women in wheelchairs. The Rollettes Experience is an annual 4-day event with workshops, dance classes, and team-building exercises to help women in wheelchairs connect and build a community. 

Through the Rollettes Experience, Chelsie’s goal is to expand the event across the U.S. and the globe to support disabled women everywhere. The Rollettes experience combines art, entertainment, dance, and community building to create an enriching experience for attendees. This year’s Rollettes Experience will take place from July 11th to 14th at the Sheraton LAX in Los Angeles, and the fee to attend will be $200. 

One of the perks of the event is attending the Boundless Babe seminars, which is what they call attendees of the Rollettes Experience. At these seminars, Boundless Babes can learn about working out, stretching, dancing, and makeup. They can also attend panel discussions led by special guest speakers that discuss topics such as relationships, health, wellness, and business. 

People of all ages are welcome since the Rollettes Experience caters to adults, parents, teens, and kids alike. With exciting events such as kids dance classes, teen connection groups, a kids sports camp, and parent coffee chats, the Rollettes Experience is sure to have something for everyone to enjoy. 

In collaboration with Straight Up Abilities, an inclusive arts education non-profit, the Rollettes Experience worked with them to provide their attendees with the ability to participate in the Straight Up Abilities Convention and the All Abilities Dance Workshop. This event is all about celebrating a day of dance and welcomes anyone with a physical or intellectual disability. There will be dance lessons from Eddie Garcia, a professional choreographer, and music by DJ Hymn. It is open to anyone ages 8 and up and will take place on July 13th, 2024 at the Sheraton Hotel.

Another event that attendees can participate in is the Boundless Talent Showcase, where everyone at the Rollettes Experience can showcase their talents in dance, instruments, singing, and so much more. This event is open to the public, so anyone is welcome to audition. There are three age divisions for kids, teens, and adults. The grand champion of the showcase is expected to perform their winning act at the Awards Ceremony on July 22nd at the end of the Rollettes Experience. 

Chelsie Hill’s mission of uniting women in wheelchairs through the Rollettes Experience continues to uplift women with disabilities and create a community that celebrates their successes. She truly inspires me through her content and advocacy for the disabled community. Whenever I see her posts on social media, it reminds me that women with disabilities are capable of anything they set their minds to. Seeing a woman like Chelsie succeed motivates me to continue working towards my goals and claim my disability proudly.

Who are some of the women that inspire you? Let us know, @HerCampusSJSU!

Lillian is currently apart of the Writers team for Her Campus at SJSU. She is currently a third-year at SJSU, majoring in Advertising with a concentration in Marketing Communications. One area of marketing that she is really interested in is social media marketing, and she hopes to someday be able to work with brands and companies to curate their social media image and branding. Her hobbies include journaling, writing, baking, and reading. As an avid reader, she fell in love with storytelling and creative writing by reading stories from her favorite authors, and she hopes to be able to have the same lasting impact on those who read her stories.