Anna Schultz-Girl Sitting On Bed Facing Wall
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Style > Decor

Homesick? It’s probably the way you’re decorating!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Back-to-school season is just around the corner! First-year college students look forward to being on their own and living in a new environment. Once these students finally arrive and unpack in their new living spaces, they discover that the dorm decor is often unappealing and bland. 

It’s discouraging to live in a dorm room that doesn’t reflect your style or personality, but you can easily change that! I’ll be listing various tips and advice I’ve learned while decorating my dorm room to make it feel more YOU!

Utilize the space given!

Most dorm rooms have limited space, so be mindful of the items and decorations you intend to bring! Closet organizers are available at stores like Target and Walmart, where you can store towels or laundry while saving space in your closet. Hanging shelves are a stylish way to keep books or small decorations on the walls. Carts and rolling storage bins are ideal for storing items such as makeup or toiletries in your room without taking too much space!

Pinterest is your best friend!

When I first moved into the dorms, I had no idea how I should decorate my room. I decided to look on Pinterest for “dorm room ideas” or “room ideas,” and there, I discovered a wide range of room inspirations that matched my style or imagination! Pinterest also has various college checklist images that you can use to ensure you have all of the necessary items for college. If you like collage print art, Pinterest has many aesthetic photos that will match your ideal image!

Posters! Posters! Posters!

While we’re on the subject of aesthetic Pinterest photos, hanging posters is another way to liven up your space. I adore posters of my favorite musicians and bands! There are also posters for your favorite TV show or film. Posters are available at stores such as Target and Redbubble (even Etsy sells occasional posters).

Bring memories from home!

Bringing in photos from my summer trips with my friends is my favorite part of decorating my dorm room! When I’m feeling lonely, I usually decorate my desk with polaroids, film, and photobooth strips of friends and family. I highly recommend decorating your space with items that bring you a sense of familiarity; whenever you feel homesick, having something you recognize helps to alleviate anxiety.

Coordinate with your roommates! 

If you are like me and once shared a room with someone,  It’s crucial to be aware of your roommate’s decorating preferences and opinions. Communicate with them to determine where you should hang certain decor or place certain items in your shared space! You may work well with one another and bounce off different creativity to liven up your room.

Moving out to the dorms can be stressful and frightening, but it can also be something to look forward to and a memorable experience. Remember to take your time when decorating your space and to create an environment that is unique to you!

Are you looking forward to decorating your dorm room? What do you intend to bring that represents you? Let us know @HerCampusSJSU!

Siobhan Robinson is a member of the Her Campus national writing program. She works on the Entertainment and Culture team, covering the most recent pop culture events, trends, and entertainment releases. Previously, she worked as an Entertainment and Culture intern during the Spring 2023 semester, where she was supervised in writing breaking news verticals, live coverage of events such as the Grammys and Met Gala, and interviewing emerging Gen Z talent for Her Campus's "Next Questions" segment. She graduated Magna Cum Laude in Spring 2024 with a B.A. in Communication Studies from San Jose State University and received communication honors for completing a graduate-level course during her undergraduate studies. While in college, she was an active member of the SJSU chapter of Her Campus, serving on the executive board as Editor-In-Chief. In this role, she supervised a team of writers, senior editors, and copy editors, and assessed their articles for the site. Previously, she served as a senior editor, supervising a team of 4-5 writers, and also worked as a campus correspondent for the entire chapter. Additionally, she contributed to the school's publication magazine, Access, and became a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. In her free time, Siobhan enjoys scrapbooking, hanging out with friends, going to concerts, and, of course, writing for fun! A die-hard fangirl, she loves sharing everything she knows about her favorite boy bands, even if you don't ask. If you need her, you'll likely find her binge-watching the latest K-drama.