Style > Beauty

Healthy Skin is the Future: The ‘No-Makeup’ Makeup Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

We all know how important a good skincare routine can be. Whether it’s for acne treatment or simple hydration, makeup companies have made headway combining beauty and healthy skin for an effortless, skin-like makeup look. Some of these products include hydrating lipsticks or tinted moisturizers that have antioxidants and aid in discoloration. 

Fueling this new trend in makeup and beauty is the “no-makeup” makeup look, also called the “clean girl” look. This sleek and seamless aesthetic originated in many cultures, including Southeast Asia, Central America, and South America. 

Numerous influencers have not only reviewed these natural products, but also created their own lines of skin care-based makeup products. An example is Tata Harper’s Lip Cremé, an anti-aging lip treatment that supports wrinkle reduction. The balms come in colors ranging from beige to deep red. Another is Jaclyn Hill’s tinted moisturizer, which gives you dewy, glowy skin. Using their platforms, influencers can change the trajectory of makeup, and as of 2023, the “no-makeup” makeup look is taking a lead in the industry. 

Not only do skincare-based makeup products promote healthy skin, they also use sustainable ingredients. Tennille Murphy, a sustainable beauty influencer, advocates for environmentally friendly packaging and alternatives such as reusable makeup remover pads. Former Disney star Ashley Tisdale also advocates for sustainable and affordable beauty products. Her brand, Frenshe, not only provides accessible skincare but also promotes sustainable alternatives for popular beauty products. The editors on the Frenshe website provide articles on sustainable make-up products like the Lash Blast mascara by Covergirl. 

Well People is another example of a brand that combines sustainability with skincare in their beauty products. Their products are approved by the Environmental Working Group, meaning they are free of harsh chemicals, and their products often contain plant-based ingredients. In addition to the quality of their products, they are relatively affordable, with $20 being the median of their price range. 

One concern with the new wave of minimalist makeup is inclusivity, since it can be difficult to find tinted moisturizers for customers with darker skin tones. The Cut lists several tinted moisturizers for darker skin, including Fenty Eaze Drop Blurring Tint and ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40. Inclusivity also relates to affordability, and many of these brands can be expensive. As mentioned previously, Well People is an affordable skincare-based makeup brand that is also inclusive of skin tones. Glossier is another great option, as they have reasonable prices and a wide range of skin tones offered for their tinted moisturizer.

I have personally taken on a more minimal makeup look recently and found that I save time and money as opposed to the numerous products I used for a full face. Healthy skin is beautiful and can be achieved through the “no-makeup” makeup look.

What is your favorite skincare-based makeup brand? Tell us @HerCampusSJSU!

My name is Loghann and I am a second year Marine Biology major. I am passionate about about the environment and social justice. I am so excited to share my writing with you.