Life > Experiences

Fun and Festive Ways to Celebrate with Friends This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Fall is in full swing, with its enchanting hues of orange and red painting the world around us. The air is crisp and inviting, carrying the scent of fallen leaves and cozy evenings. As the days get shorter and the night grow longer, we inch closer and closer to the holidays. 

Being in college and on campus for majority of the fall semester, many students are eagerly looking forward to returning home and reuniting with the love and warmth from their family and hometown friends.

The holidays are a time to cherish and appreciate one another, and what better way to do so than with your closest friends? When you return to your hometown after exams and begin your winter break, why not check out some of the various themes that everyone can participate in? It’s time to break away from the conventional; let’s look at some fun and silly holiday party themes that you and your guests will like.

Dress as a Celebrity in a Music Video 

For this theme, gather all of your attendees. Have everyone pick a different celebrity and music video they appear in. Each person will dress as their celebrity of choice in the music video they appear in.

This theme is really cool because it allows everyone to get really creative and express their admiration for their favorite stars. It also adds an element of excitement and anticipation to the party, as attendees try and guess who each friend is dressed up as. After the party starts, keep the fun going by having a karaoke session, where everyone sings to the song of the celebrity they are dressed up as. This theme will get a laugh out of all your friends.

Gilmore Girls

Nothing speaks fall more than “Gilmore Girls”. Immerse yourself in Lorelais and Rory’s world. You can create a cozy atmosphere reminiscent of the welcoming “Stars Hollow”, and even get fancy with decor inspired by Lukes Diner, the Dragonfly Inn, and even the iconic gazebo. The setting for this theme is fall itself. Capturing that warm, homey feeling is going to transport everyone into the whimsical world of the show. 

To add to the experience, have everyone  dress up as their favorite characters, sit around some cozy couches, and talk about your favorite moments from your favorite episodes. 

There’s no “Gilmore Girls” without copious amounts of coffee, fast-talking, and lots and lots of food. So get ready to spend a night filled with warmth, friendship, and wonderful memories that you can cherish with the people you love.

First Letter of Your Name

You may have seen this theme in action all over social media. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with this one. So many people are taking part in it because it’s super fun, quick, and easy to do. All you need to do is have each one of your guests dress up as something that starts with the first letter of their first name. 

There is no limit to what you can dress up as. Movie characters, animals, reality stars, celebrities, objects, they’re all on the table. Add a twist and require everyone to bring a dish or treat that also starts with the first letter of their name. It’ll be really fun to see what everyone comes up with, and try the new foods brought by guests.

Pajama Theme

A pajama themed gathering is a super laid back and chill idea! It would add such a cozy and comfortable vibe to the party. Imagine gathering with your closest friends, all dressed in your favorite pjs, snuggled up with blankets and pillows, enjoying all your delicious food and snacks. You can even coordinate matching pajama sets, colors, or styles, it’s all up to you. 

The relaxed and laid-back setting will bring out the warmth and togetherness of the season; everyone will feel right at home. It’s the perfect opportunity to simply enjoy each other’s company in a casual and intimate way. 

Throwing a holiday party can be as formal, fun, or casual as you want. Intimate gatherings are an exciting way to celebrate the holiday season with your friends. Getting creative and incorporating unique, fun ideas will create a memorable holiday season all your friends will enjoy. 

What are your plans after break? Let us know at @HerCampusSJSU!

Hi! My name is Janessa and I'm a first year at SJSU majoring in English with a concentration in Professional and Technical Writing. I plan on eventually taking my studies abroad to experience the beauty of new places, people, and cultures while simultaneously working towards my degree. After I graduate, I also have hopes of working in the Publishing industry some day in either Editorial or Publicity. I'm thrilled to be a part of Her Campus at SJSU, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to work and enhance my writing abilities with a community of encouraging and supportive women.